Wearables: Glasses or Smartwatch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bandit3dgfx, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Bandit3dgfx macrumors newbie

It seems that headsets and smartwatches have been pitched by various companies as the next evolution in mobile, but what do you guys think? Is it going to be a "Google Glass" style headset that does augmented reality? Or is it going to be a super intelligent wrist companion that can gather and analyze all sorts of lifestyle data?

I'm sure Vuzix or some other guys will announce a Google Glass competitor at insideAR in October, and Samsung has just announed their silly watch - do you think we will get a useful headset or a useful smartwatch first?

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If you were personally asking my preference, smart watch. Because

1) I already wear glasses and would either have to buy new frames or get a special glass/plastic that fits my prescription.

2) my vision is so poor, LensCrafters can't even guarantee an hour (rimshot) Plus its more expensive, already add to the cost of the headwear.

3) there's a bar in Seattle that prohibits Google Glass, how long before other places do this? I don't want to have to change glasses just to eat at a restaurant.

4) theft, if a thief grabs my headwear from behind, my corrective lenses go with it, and I would be in big trouble. Try walking down a city street blindfolded. Having my phone or watch stolen is the lesser of two evils.

But in the end, I really don't see a need for a smart watch yet. In time maybe, but not yet.

3. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I would have went with watch too. But after reading this persons reasons I really would. I almost always wear glasses and never even considered them being stolen.