Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
I'm just curious... anyone in the military worn it in the field? How's it holding up?

Hooah! I've been out of the Army for a while now, but am curious. We were barred from having a phone on us at all when I deployed. It being a Smart Watch I don't think it poses the same security risks if worn by itself. :p

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I'd be a little nervous about potential impacts if you even suspect you're going to do some crazy lane training - obstacles, weird objects, mud, water. That said, the ACU cuff covers it just fine, so I wouldn't be too worried about scratches and stuff from just running around in the woods and such. On the other hand, there's always the "unknown". I'm not telling you anything new, but sometimes you'll be super focused on a difficult task, the adrenaline is high, and you don't realize until it's over (and you're in pain) that you've injured yourself during the action. I guess that kind of abuse could transfer over to the watch if you weren't careful.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Outside of the issues of physical abuse from being in the field is the issue that Ambush083 brought up, and that is that they are not allowed to take phones on them. Since the :apple: Watch currently needs a phone to perform many of its functions then it isn't of much use in the field.

On many websites, including Instagram and You Tube you see photos and videos shot in the field by troops on phones. How are they doing it?" Or is the rule not universal and maybe different in different units?

To all military personnel who post on this thread, thanks for your service. Mine was during Vietnam in the US Navy.

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
I think it's dependent on the unit/exercise/leadership/etc.

When I did a warfighter exercise, zero gadgets were allowed in the TOC. Hell, even books weren't allowed. I wouldn't wear mine in the field. Just not worth the risk. I was just curious if anyone has already done it.

Thank you to all who served/is serving as well. Hooah.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
On many websites, including Instagram and You Tube you see photos and videos shot in the field by troops on phones. How are they doing it?" Or is the rule not universal and maybe different in different units?

Former Infantry Officer here with 2 combat deployments and lots of field training. We were never restricted in bringing phones or other electronic devices with us. Some restrictions in the TOC of course, but out in the field no issue bringing stuff out with you. Obviously people couldn't sit there playing with their phones while doing actual training, but as anyone who has been in the military knows, there is a hell of a lot of down time.

I am currently in the NG and we just started AT. I'm heading out in a couple days to the field and will let everyone know how the watch holds up. I did notice the stainless steel gets scratched fairly easily, so I bought a few skins to put on the watch. I don't think there will be any issues, but we will see.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
Former Infantry Officer here with 2 combat deployments and lots of field training. We were never restricted in bringing phones or other electronic devices with us. Some restrictions in the TOC of course, but out in the field no issue bringing stuff out with you. Obviously people couldn't sit there playing with their phones while doing actual training, but as anyone who has been in the military knows, there is a hell of a lot of down time.

I am currently in the NG and we just started AT. I'm heading out in a couple days to the field and will let everyone know how the watch holds up. I did notice the stainless steel gets scratched fairly easily, so I bought a few skins to put on the watch. I don't think there will be any issues, but we will see.

It seems we have a lot in common. I was also infantry and have two combat deployments worked in a TOC, Detention Facilty also went on missions. I spoke with other friends that I had to deployed during the same time and I don't think they had the same rules as we did. I'm not sure why it was so strict.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Shows how different military minds are from other professions. When I saw "in the field," I'm a geology student so I assumed it would be scientists out in the middle of nowhere with these things. But I guess the military would be very similar aside from *slightly* stricter rules from an employer.

I've got to take a class that is six weeks of field work next summer, and I was a little torn on whether I would take it or not. After figuring out the whole step tracking, heart rate monitoring, exercise, etc., I definitely think I'll take it with me. I want those rings to light the heck up. Maybe there will even be some useful geology apps by then, even if it's as simple as some sort of map. It's definitely easier to tell time.

In the near future, I wouldn't be shocked if the military developed its own type of smartwatch to issue to troops. I know you guys have coms, but if these were modified to send the health data back to a central command center, commanders there might get a better sense of if the unit is sensing danger or struggling to maneuver through a terrain. Think of it kind of like how astronauts have a lot of medical hookups on them. If a watch could monitor all of what NASA checks now, it could probably help make astronauts more comfortable. Only problem with that would be the completely useless accelerometer.

I also wonder if these watches or any other device could be used to make all sorts of weapons useless if stolen by enemies. I know ISIS stole a lot of weapons from Iraqi fighters who were either defeated or fled over there. There's obviously an issue with glitches making the weapon unusable for the good guy intended to use it, but maybe that can be overcome somehow.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433001505.380291.jpg
The current policy for PED's puts restrictions to where I can wear it but I still wear it daily. Won't wear it to PT since my Sport model got scratched there but I wear it everywhere else with no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.