wearing the watch while weight training

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by brentg33, Apr 27, 2015.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

i have the 42mm SS w/ black sport band.
    I know that a major feature of the watch is its fitness tracker/app.
    However, it seems like that is mostly for cardio/runninng...etc.
    does anyone thing that wearing it while weight training is a bad idea (as far as damage to the watch?)
    I usually weight train 5 days a week.....
    just looking for opinions

thanks

2. leenak macrumors 68020

How do you think you'd damage the watch? For some things like pushups, I did move the watch face to the inside of my wrist just for comfort sake but other than that it is fine.

As far as workout tracking, I use the workout app and select workout 'other' and it'll show me my average heart rate as well as time worked out.

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I do

5. whatos macrumors 6502a

Just wear it, enjoy it, and everything else will fall into place. The more you wear it the better you'll understand it.

6. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I lift weights 4 times a week, and I have no problems wearing the Watch. I set the Fitness tracker to 'Other'.

7. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

8. p0p9y9 macrumors member

I just use the "other" workout, and use it to monitor my heart rate and elapsed time. Works pretty good.

9. sheaitisnotso macrumors regular

Check this out from Speck:
    http://www.speckproducts.com/2015/apple-watch

Although the idea of putting a case on the watch is pretty lame, I'm in the same exact situation as you because we often use kettle bells in my boot camp classes. I'll definitely be looking into this case for the added protection from the weights.

10. Royksöpp macrumors 6502

Royksöpp

Just be careful you don't drop a dumbbell on the face. That would be quite a traumatic experience.

11. SLQ03 macrumors member

Feels like they forgot about us that weight train. Not much of a cardio guy and would like to see something that we could actually use to track PRs.

12. randalblanken macrumors regular

I heard about this third party app, Vimo Fitness, that's supposed to work for weight training workouts. I haven't tried it yet as I'm still waiting for my watch to ship. I just looked it up on the apple watch App Store and there are two different apps from this company ready for the apple watch. http://www.vimofit.com

13. Andy0568 macrumors regular

Is it true that "Other" workout doesn't continuously measure heart rate? I read someone's post that said they were using "Outdoor Run" when weight training so they would have continuous heart rate measuring.

14. craigo14 macrumors member

A dedicated weight training section would be better

15. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

I train with weights and if you use kettle ball, dumbells, and cables you will hit the wrist area. I'm getting a protective case and will only use it while in the gym. I'm not that paranoid I just know that I'll do damage with the way I workout.

16. RayDonovan macrumors regular

RayDonovan

Apple's idea of a workout is based on running. Meanwhile every gym Melbourne (And there are a LOT of them) is packed with people doing weights, not cardio.

17. p0p9y9 macrumors member

No, it does measure heart rate continuously. I looked at minute by minute data in the health app when I was working out, and was able to confirm that.

18. trifusion macrumors newbie

trifusion

Looking for a weight training Apple Watch try www.body-pro.com

Greg

19. leenak macrumors 68020

Especially since that would be dropping a dumbbell on your wrist, which I have never done.

20. techspin macrumors 6502a

Do you usually hit your wrist on all that equipment? :eek: I imagine the only point of impact that really matters is the watch face.

21. marklemac macrumors regular

marklemac

dumbbell only workout last night, I set the app to 'other' and it all worked well.

The watch doesn't get in the way of the dumbells at all.

My only problem is that my lifting gloves have a built in wrist strap, so they did cause a slight issue with the watch, so I just slid it up my wrist a bit more to fit.