Wearing white after labor day??

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 2, 2005
I have no idea of what the rule is, in Texas especially.
I read in the fashion section of the paper that white was the hot new winter thing?

Am I allowed to wear my white jeans after labor day? I really like those jeans..

Do y'all wear white after labor day? Can the rule be broken due to climate?
Who invented that rule anyway? I wanna wear white pants year-round!!:mad:

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
katie ta achoo said:
I read in the fashion section of the paper that white was the hot new winter thing?

Am I allowed to wear my white jeans after labor day? I really like those jeans..

What? I worked in a clothing store for 2 years and white was also a featured color near the holidays. Why can't you wear white after labor day? And why do you care what anyone says?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
iMeowbot said:
Didn't that rule go out with pillbox hats and gloves?
I don't think that anyone has followed that rule since the early 1970s when ladies were allowed to wear slacks in public instead of being restricted to skirts and dresses.

The only ones who would complain about white after Labor Day are probably too old to yell. ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Don't listen to Oprah.

Girls are not supposed to wear bras when wearing white shirts, especially not when it's raining. ;)

katie ta achoo said:

White jeans? Ewwwwwww.....

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
rules were ment to be bent or broken.
who cares what the supposed rules are.
wear what looks good on you and what you're comfortable wearing.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Abstract said:
Don't listen to Oprah.

Girls are not supposed to wear bras when wearing white shirts, especially not when it's raining. ;)
If I wake up sticky tomorrow morning ... it's your fault for planting that image in my head. ;)

rtharper

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Oxford, UK
katie ta achoo said:

Firstly, I feel the no white after Labor Day rule applies most specifically to white pants, which really are a little attention grabbing.

I'm from California, and much like Texas the sun shines every damn day. People where white pants if they feel like it, usually during the sunnier days of Winter. White being the hot new winter color for the drab East Coast (where I live now), though, is something I just can't see happening.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 2, 2005
bousozoku said:
The only ones who would complain about white after Labor Day are probably too old to yell. ;)
Sweet! :D

and abstract they're not as horrible as I think you're making them out to be... i don't look like an ice cream lady in them. :D

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
MACDRIVE said:
OMG!!! :eek: I just now went to check you out at the photo gallery. I hope you don't mind me saying so but, YOU'RE HOT!!! ;)
seconded...14kt cutie pie

I think the "white after labor day" rule really only applies to stark, "summer" white. Off-white is perfectly acceptable.

and IMHO, white shoes, other than sneakers, are never OK...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
max_altitude said:
:confused:

Could someone explain what the deal with Labour Day and white clothing is? :eek:
US public holiday used as the date when you're supposed to break out your Autumn wardrobe. White is traditionally summer only over in "the colonies".

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
dynamicv said:
US public holiday used as the date when you're supposed to break out your Autumn wardrobe. White is traditionally summer only over in "the colonies".
Ahh, thanks for the explanation.

Funny that I've not heard of anything like this in our little colony down here. :D

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
max_altitude said:
Funny that I've not heard of anything like this in our little colony down here. :D
They're "the colonies". You lot are "the convicts". Important to make the distinction :p :D

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I actually answered the history of white after Labor Day once before, but I can't remember how it came up. It was one of thase wierd tangents.

Meh- I found it, and all I did was cite the Wiki article. Nothing especially useful.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
MACDRIVE said:
OMG!!! :eek: I just now went to check you out at the photo gallery. I hope you don't mind me saying so but, YOU'RE HOT!!! ;)
+

beatsme said:
seconded...14kt cutie pie
=

:rolleyes:

Such that:

Now I'm totally in favor of adding a user's gender beneath their avatar ...

KT -- wear whatever pants you want. And if anybody gives you a problem for it, go Samuel L. Jackson on 'em ...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, that rule is definitely very done. And the people who followed it never really wore white jeans anyway. What kind of white jeans anyway? Skinny ones? Seems like the white jeans with a big metallic belt has been out in force here recently...

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Yeah, that rule is definitely very done. And the people who followed it never really wore white jeans anyway. What kind of white jeans anyway? Skinny ones? Seems like the white jeans with a big metallic belt has been out in force here recently...
I've been told that for office attire it still holds sway, though in strictly social circles nobody gives a sh*t.

just what I heard....probably apocryphal

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
thedude110 said:
KT -- wear whatever pants you want. And if anybody gives you a problem for it, go Samuel L. Jackson on 'em ...
Yeah. I agree. It's a silly rule, just do whatever you what.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 2, 2005
beatsme said:
I think the "white after labor day" rule really only applies to stark, "summer" white. Off-white is perfectly acceptable.
they're white-white. BUT, it's still going to be about 90° tomorrow, so I'm good to go. It FEELS like summer, yes? :D

dynamicv said:
Stupid colonies, what with all their Tobacco growin'. :D

I never understood it, and now it looks like I don't have to. Hurray!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
katie ta achoo said:
...Am I allowed to wear my white jeans after labor day? I really like those jeans..
Well, here's the scoop from Dr. Dave. You'll have another Texan strutting her stuff with you. I won't comment on your being "hot", or "hawt". Wear that white, in style. ;)