Weary to buy another iPod shuffle

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MUCKYFINGERS, Jul 31, 2008.

1. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Hi all,

My girlfriend bought me an 2g ipod shuffle last year for valentines' day and just over a year after owning it, my mac no longer recognizes it when it is plugged into the machine. I even bought a new ipod dock to hook up my shuffle to my mac, and sure enough, it does not recognize it. The battery is also dead, and I figured it would be too much trouble to buy a new battery when I could get a new iPod. I tried resetting it, but it just does not work.

So my girlfriend loans me her old 1g ipod shuffle, purchased 2-3 years ago. It too, for no reason yesterday, came up as NO_NAME in finder, and all the songs on it were erased. The green and orange lights flash very quickly, alternatingly, when I try to power it on. My iBook no longer recognizes it as an ipod.

Have there been many issues with 2g ipod shuffles? Do i need to do something special, like charge it everynight or something, to prevent these problems? I love the ipod shuffles and use them to work out a lot, but I don't want to have to keep buying them if they keep crapping out on me.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It just sounds like you have a computer that is eating the iPods or they are being used someplace with high EM Fields.

I used to have a 1G shuffle, and it worked like a charm until I gave it to my uncle, who still uses it every day. I gave another one to my aunt and she loves it.

My mom has a Pink 2G and she used it for almost a year without realizing that she needed to hook it up to the computer once in a while. When she first connected it, it wouldn't work, but iTunes easily reset it and reloaded everything on it as it was before and she was happy.

TEG