Weather app says I am in "Bak"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by macguymike, Nov 24, 2013.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

Twice now the Weather app has randomly decided I am in some place called "Bak". It switched back before but I don't know why or how. I tried restarting the phone. That didn't change anything. My WiFi is on, to help Location settings. The weather in Bak is not the local weather.

I tried asking Google about the problem but got nothing.

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I think the weather app gets it's info from Yahoo. It is their problem.

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Yes, the weather info comes from Yahoo! but the location info comes from the GPS that is build into the phone.

OP, turn off Wifi (sometimes Wifi can mess up your location) and open the Maps app and see if it can locate you correctly. If not, you have a defective unit.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Currently clear skies, no wind, and 52° with 71% humidity.

----------

Done. Maps found me just fine.

6. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Ok, your GPS is fine.
    Now TURN ON Wifi and repeat the process. Open Maps again and see where it locates you. If it locates you in "Bak", Wifi is messing with your location, if it locates you correctly something is up with the Weather app ; best thing to do is to submit a bug report to Apple and do a Restore.

7. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, Maps has never had a problem locating me. Might take it in to the Apple store before I go through the pain of a restore. Thank you for the advice!

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

There is no point going to the Apple Store because they will do the same thing - Restore the phone. Your GPS is fine, it's a software problem.

9. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Mine does this too!!! It tells me I'm in a place called "Herbert's Corner"

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

At work, the stock weather app says I'm in a small village about 2 miles away that only has a handful of houses, whereas I'm actually in a town with a few thousand. At home, it can only figure out what county I am in, even though I'm in a reasonable sized town. It's pretty lame and I generally switch locations manually so they are correct. No other weather apps seem to have a problem getting it right, just Yahoo.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

so it's the same with the Yahoo! Weather app too?

12. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

Like you said, it's more likely to do with how Yahoo has assigned a location name to a particular geographical area or geofence rather than with the hardware reading GPS location incorrectly. I live in London and quite often Apple Maps and other apps like the Met Office associate my location with the name of a nearby area rather than where I actually am, whilst other apps like Google Maps tend to have more accurate assignment of location names to a particular GPS coordinate.

OP probably has the same problem, it's not a hardware issue, but do double check. ;)

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

14. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I've noticed it too, depending on where I am it gives me weird names. If I drive across town, it says I'm in Schoolfield, which is kinda like a section of my town. I've also noticed it in a few other locations, but if I pull up the Yahoo weather app the location is right. Could the weather app be reporting the name of the place where the weather station is instead of the city? Like maybe the weather station is in Bak?

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

So basically it can sometimes give you a more hyperlocal location using a particular neighborhood name rather than a more generic and larger city name? Doesn't really seem all that strange or bad really.

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is what is happening as I have seen it previously when my iPhone 5S was new (learning my travel routines and tweaking the settings)

17. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Yes. If you download yahoos weather app it will put you in the exact same place.

I live in GA and half the time, mine puts me in Somerest Hills, NJ. Other times it shows my current temp from half a day ago.

I've deemed the weather app unusable until yahoo fixes their issue or Apple ditches them in favor of a service that isn't garbage.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

What about The Weather Channel app given that Yahoo!'s data coming from them?

19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Wow NJ is a bit off from GA. That being said the Yahoo App and the stock weather app do not always give the same location. I've opened them both at the same time and got two different locations. Of course that might just be because the stock Weather app refuses to refresh 1/2 the time. I really wish they would add a time stamp telling you when the last time the app refreshed was...

For now I'll stick to Weatherbug, or The Weather Channel app.