Weather App Too Subtle?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by parseckadet, Nov 22, 2013.

1. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Anyone else notice that some of the animations on the weather app are just a little bit too subtle? Of course nobody is going to overlook the thunderstorm animation, but I think the animations for rain showers and snow showers are too difficult to tell what's really going on. Especially when you're in the multi-city view. I have to look pretty close to see the rain drops, and the snow shower one is just a bunch of clouds. What does everyone else think?

2. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I find the built in Weather app to be highly inaccurate. If you are in the UK try BBC Weather or MET Office.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I remember my HTC Evo 4G would make the screen appear to be wet when it was raining and a windshield wiper would virtually wipe the screen.

4. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Which one? Why? What's better that's out there (and why)?

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It's ok for me, just a little too simple, so I bought another one (Meteo Live) which is much more configurable.

7. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

The built in one. Sure, it works and looks great, but it's incredibly simple (Maybe people like that?) At least with the one The Weather Channel provides you also get radar and weather alerts.

8. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Most of the apple apps are simple and useless. Look what they did to calendar.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Where do you live that the weather changes so drastically that you need more detailed reports?

10. parseckadet thread starter macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

That is such a poor argument. The weather can change dramatically just about anywhere. I live in Houston, not a place usually associated with quick sifts in weather. Yet when I woke up this morning it was 70 degrees, and an hour later it was below 50 and pouring rain.

Look, I didn't look to start a debate about whether the Apple Weather app offers enough features. I just meant to say that this one feature that it does offer could stand some improvement. Can we be done with the knee-jerk, let's bash it because Apple made it type comments and get back to the point that I started with?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

So, basically it's not terrible, or even bad, just doesn't have extra features beyond more typical weather information. Considering it likely was designed to essentially only provide the most useful weather information and not really go in depth, seems like it's actually fairly good for what it is then. It's just not an app for everyone necessarily, especially those who might want more details, for which other more specialized apps.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not bashing anything I was just curious. I live in L.A. Our weather is so repetitive and predictable weather reporters get excited to report a 10% chance of rain.

13. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

The Weather app pulls it's feed from Yahoo weather so it's Yahoo that's 'highly inaccurate'. This will happen for any app that uses/pulls feed from the Yahoo weather feed

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

And Yahoo! Weather data is provided by The Weather Channel.

15. hafr macrumors 68030

I'd like to say that the real question is where you live, being so blissfully unaware of how quick the weather can change and what huge impact it can have on one's life.

It's people like you who get caught in bad weather conditions and need rescuing. "Oh, look, sun! Let's go offpist for an hour, we'll be fine".

(It came off as harsher than I meant it.)

16. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

And THAT is reason why it isnt any better!

17. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

I'd be happy if Apple just allowed the stock weather app be on the iPad. :-/

18. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Where I am in the UK as long as I have location services on the weather is fairly accurate

19. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

All that changed was the interface.

20. hafr macrumors 68030

"All"? They rendered the calendar app pretty much useless for me.

21. TyShawn macrumors 6502

The stock app IMO is ok at best. As others has said it was made just to give you the basics. From the look of the interface it looks as if Yahoo was the creators of the app as their app looks the exact same but with a bit more info. I currently use the Yahoo app and love it. I also paid for The Eeather Channel app and at the time was ok but over time the interface became cluttered.

22. 2nd4ever macrumors newbie

Yes, Apple Weather is a tad bland but more importantly it’s just penny-ante, lacks LOOP RADAR, what you've gotta have to see what’s coming your way.

Fooled around with some of the common weather apps, went with Intellicast iOS7 $4.00yr commercial-free weather.

May be better out there. Just stopped looking when I found this brand-new, info-pregnant gem.

23. Oz. macrumors regular

Oz.

The weather app works great for me, I find it a lot much better than any other option!

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I live in Los Angeles bud. We don't get hurricanes, thunderstorms, hailstorms, floods or typhoons. We do have earthquakes once in a while.

Summer temps range from 80's - low 100's
    Winter temps range from 65- 75F

There are no surprises. If a storm is approaching we usually get warned a week in advance.

25. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Yahoo! Weather is terrible in my location. I think it really depends where you live. Here we go from the Ocean to the Mountains to the dessert within 40 miles. It just doesn't work well here - there are too many micro-climents. I prefer Wunderground - you can choose your weather station, even from hobbits down the street.