Weather App with current rainfall info

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Is there a reliable weather app that displays accurately the current rainfall info for a city (not chance of precipitation)? It doesnt have to have a widget but that would be a plus.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Try Dark Skies. I just got it not too long ago and it seems to be working well.
Dark Skies just like Raincast looks like it's more of a forecast rather than rain amount shown in inches while it's falling.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Is there a reliable weather app that displays accurately the current rainfall info for a city (not chance of precipitation)? It doesnt have to have a widget but that would be a plus.
To me it sounds like you are looking for radar. That is the only app that shows rainfall and direction of movement. If that's the case, Radarscope is the best app. best $10 I've spent on an app. You can even put locations in for where you will be. GPS For where you presently located.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
To me it sounds like you are looking for radar. That is the only app that shows rainfall and direction of movement. If that's the case, Radarscope is the best app. best $10 I've spent on an app. You can even put locations in for where you will be. GPS For where you presently located.
Thanks, Is Radarscope pretty accurate in your opinion regarding reporting how much rainfall has fallen in your area as it falls?

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Thanks, Is Radarscope pretty accurate in your opinion regarding reporting how much rainfall has fallen in your area as it falls?
Radarscope shows the rain that is presently falling as well as other data that meteorologist use. The data comes from the NWS network of radars. The data is usually nearly live to 6-10 minutes old. There is no actual live radar as they have to make a sweep of the area. But it is accurate.

Rainfall accumulations are not very accurate IMO. They have a couple of products but the data isn't exact. It does give you an idea of what area received the highest concentration of rainfall.

Radarscope is the app used by most storm chasers. http://radarscope.tv

Actual rain fallen needs a source of live reporters. There is an app called rain gauge. I haven't used it so I have no clue how accurate it is.

I don't care about the total rainfall. I want to know where it is raining in relationship to me or to where I am headed.

Angelo921

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Radarscope shows the rain that is presently falling as well as other data that meteorologist use. The data comes from the NWS network of radars. The data is usually nearly live to 6-10 minutes old. There is no actual live radar as they have to make a sweep of the area. But it is accurate.

Rainfall accumulations are not very accurate IMO. They have a couple of products but the data isn't exact. It does give you an idea of what area received the highest concentration of rainfall.

Radarscope is the app used by most storm chasers. http://radarscope.tv

Actual rain fallen needs a source of live reporters. There is an app called rain gauge. I haven't used it so I have no clue how accurate it is.

I don't care about the total rainfall. I want to know where it is raining in relationship to me or to where I am headed.
Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.