Weather ate away my paint, need suggestion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anamznazn, Mar 6, 2009.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

During the last month or two, I had this white spot on top of my car that was about the size of a quarter. I ignored it and thought it was nothing. Eventually, that white spot grew out to be a size of a girl scout cookie. :(

Anyways, I took my car to a car wash yesterday and it's all clean now, except for that white spot that won't come off. I took my thumb nail and tried scrapping it. Surprising, it started coming off after a few scrapes. I figured it was just a hard to clean dirty spot. After awhile, I got most of it off and wiped it with a wet towel. I came back a few minutes later and surprising, I noticed the same spot from far away. I took a closer look and finally realized that it was really the dead layer of paint that I was scraping away.

I want to fix this spot and I need some suggestions how I should go about it. I'm looking into buying some spray paint and going over the spot after I clean the spot some more with sandpaper. This is the first time I'm doing something like this and I'm not quite sure if I'm doing it correctly. What's the best type of spray paint out there? Any help would be nice. :)

My car's a 98 Honda Accord.
    Paint Code: G82P

2. iGav macrumors G3

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

What color is your car? It shouldn't be too hard to color match the paint if it's something like red or silver, but if it's black forget about it. To match black you would have to get the entire section of the car painted. Otherwise, you should be able to mask around it, buy some color matched auto spray paint somewhere like Advance and then after it dries blend the edges on the newly painted area in with some Meguiars Scratch X or Scratch Doctor. I did this on a piece of my door molding after backing into a pole. You can't tell I painted it other than the fact that the new black is slightly darker than the factory shade.

4. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

just got up to a body shop they wont charge you too much on a small spot like that and it will look a hell of a lot better than doing it yourself.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Cypres Green Pearl, apparently.
    :D