Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2009
As some of you may have noticed, after you update the weather.com app to its newest form (released yesterday), the location services icon stays on in your notification bar even when the app is closed.

I do understand that bugs occur and that they must have messed up with background services somehow. The thing that concerned me the most is that even after I opened the app drawer and force closed the app, it continued to use location services. The only way to make the icon disappear was to disable location services or uninstall the app. I'm curious, if the app continued to use location services after being forced closed, does that mean it made some system-level changes in order to continue to function? I mean, I wasn't aware apps were able to escape their sandbox, but it confuses me that the app continued to affect the phone even after a force quit.

Any ideas?

tmaxxtigger

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
I was wondering the same thing. Even powering down did nothing, it came right back on. I did leave it for a while and when the app was terminated it appeared it was not using the GPS since the battery was not draining quickly. Looks like they found a bug.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 25, 2009
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with iOS5. I know with the new OS the app is supposed to be able to display things like severe weather reports in the notification bar. Is it possible they updated the app with newer backgrounding procedures (for use with iOS5) that allow it to continue to function even if the app itself is closed?

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
I just disabled location services for the app for the time being. With all the negative feedback they've been getting they're bound to update soon. And strangely, the app still finds my location. Is it using the cellular signal?

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
I had the same problem and had to turn location services off for the app, hopefully they fix it soon..

Aaron1021

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Texas
i got the gps icon to go away when i reset location warnings.

settings - general - reset - reset location warnings.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
when i went to update they said they were aware of the issue and have fix they are working on. i just turned location service off for the weather.com app and will manually enter it for now.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
It didn't drain my battery...I lost 1% overnight. So maybe something else caused your battery drain?

nope because before reading this thread I had no idea what the reason was for my location being turned on. I had nothing else opened and it was drained 15-20% overnight.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
I noticed the same thing the other day. Closed all apps, rebooted, nothing worked. Had to go into the location settings and turn off each app one by one to see which it was. After that, I kept it off for TWC.

TWC is one of the worst weather companies anyway. Accuweather is the best "mainstream" weather resource. But for people into weather, there are much better options out there...

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
i got the gps icon to go away when i reset location warnings.

settings - general - reset - reset location warnings.

Thanks for the tip. It worked.

I have not noticed a decrease in my battery life since I updated the app. However, it's a bit annoying that the icon is always displayed. I tried figuring out over the weekend, why the location service icon was up all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.