CarPlay Weather Info needed in Carplay

OutGolfn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
I would like to recommend adding CarPlay integration into the Weather Channel iOS app for use while in car and parked. Not being able to see the weather anywhere within CarPlay seems to be an area that has been overlooked by developers. Simple temperature displays with current and 3/5 Day forecasts would be good starts, with a radar and satellite map displayed in later versions. Right now I exit CarPlay and utilize the built in OEM weather widget but its not within CarPlay!

I realize you can see temperature on many cars and in nav maps, but having everything displayed into CarPlay would be a great addition with weather mapping would be great! Thanks to all the pouring rain outside today!

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

OutGolfn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
True probably so. I could see ESPN offering sports scores, Yelp reviews, etc in Carplay... hopefully Apple will open up the capabilities in Carplay one day to let the developers create some amazing carplay apps with functionality that hasn’t been even dreamed of yet. 5G interactions with traffic flow and Siri guidance based on real time vehicle or speed/location data from Apple maps etc...

Goal would be the more Apple offers within CarPlay with additional apps, should hopefully decrease the urge to pick up your iPhone while still driving. Make Carplay more compelling to use in the car than our iPhones!

Siri works well within CarPlay in my experience, just hopeful more apps are allowed by Apple into the Carplay OS

Reactions: wwooden

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
True probably so. I could see ESPN offering sports scores, Yelp reviews, etc in Carplay... hopefully Apple will open up the capabilities in Carplay one day to let the developers create some amazing carplay apps with functionality that hasn’t been even dreamed of yet. 5G interactions with traffic flow and Siri guidance based on real time vehicle or speed/location data from Apple maps etc...

Goal would be the more Apple offers within CarPlay with additional apps, should hopefully decrease the urge to pick up your iPhone while still driving. Make Carplay more compelling to use in the car than our iPhones!

Siri works well within CarPlay in my experience, just hopeful more apps are allowed by Apple into the Carplay OS
I worked for an auto manufacturer for many years and still in the industry: Apple and manufacturers are under tremendous pressure to keep the CarPlay interface as minimalist as possible to prevent driver distraction. So it’s no coincidence that the emphasis in CarPlay is on using Siri to interact with it as much as possible and to keep any necessary visual interfaces to the absolute least possible. I could see a glanceable weather “complication“ (with the temp and maybe a current conditions icon) but I don’t see things like tables of sports scores or restaurant reviews, at least not while the vehicle is in motion.

Reactions: PeteLP

smithrh

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2009
I worked for an auto manufacturer for many years and still in the industry: Apple and manufacturers are under tremendous pressure to keep the CarPlay interface as minimalist as possible to prevent driver distraction. So it’s no coincidence that the emphasis in CarPlay is on using Siri to interact with it as much as possible and to keep any necessary visual interfaces to the absolute least possible. I could see a glanceable weather “complication“ (with the temp and maybe a current conditions icon) but I don’t see things like tables of sports scores or restaurant reviews, at least not while the vehicle is in motion.
I'm completely sure this is all true...

However, the amount of... well, crap that Audi/Google offers to throw up on the screen(s) in my car is over the top. Google Earth, Yelp, weather radar and so on. However, it's presented very poorly indeed, so yeah I can see distraction being an issue when you have to squint and try to figure out the information being (or not being) presented.

So, if Google is allowed to, I then suspect that the manufacturers have, to some extent, drawn a line for Apple to not cross, lest it usurp their role and subscription-based offerings.

I let my subscription lapse to this extra info - but I'd also like to see some sort of quickly understood weather information from Apple. It's not that hard.