Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mediaprodguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
i think it would kick butt if someone would come up with an app thats was better than iphones weather - like one that went directly to a radar of the rain in your area....

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Until someone makes an official widget for this, I just bookmarked the animated radar GIF that was on one of my local TV stations websites.

It'd be cool if I could access it from the home screen, but having to go into Safari and select the bookmark isn't all that horrible. :)

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
some people are obsessed with weather. my roommate has that silly weatherbug app that uses resources and network resources but won't remove it when told that it is one of the reasons his laptop runs slow.

nfreader

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
I have a link to Accuweather's radar for my city, but the link didn't work on the iPhone very well. This widget however works nicely. Thanks for the link.

Oglikn

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
My wife is a weather freak. I've been looking for days for a radar that is animated that doesn't use java or flash. Thanks for posting this!

blakesail

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
Need metro loop weather radar

For my job, I need to see metro- area weather radar on a loop to project severe weather (Thunderstorms) easily. The best web site I've seen so far is Intellicast.com. It comes up on my iPhone OK, but the loop won't work (maybe that part is Java or Flash based?)

Here's my local Metro area link: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Metro.aspx?location=USMN0787&enlarge=true

Examples of current images (from Minneapolis - left and New Orleans- right) now showing county lines, interstate highways and major lakes and rivers. The T-storms on the NO image are what I need to see, but I also need to see them in motion so I can judge direction and growth (or dissipation) of the storm.

Can anyone else see motion on their iPhone using the link above, or have a better idea of good weather radar options?

Attachments

• TwinCitiesRadar.jpg
    TwinCitiesRadar.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 153
  • NORadar.jpg
    NORadar.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 153

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Can anyone else see motion on their iPhone using the link above, or have a better idea of good weather radar options?
One of my local TV stations mobile websites uses this link for radar:
http://3onthego.com/wap/weather/radar/animated/?sid=47&showstorms=10&showids=1

It's cool because if there's a thunderstorm, it'll draw arrows on the radar showing its expected movement.

If you right-click on the animated GIF, you see it's coming from wunderground.com, so maybe there's something in their PDA/MOBILE site that's similiar for your area?

blakesail

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
One of my local TV stations mobile websites uses this link for radar:
http://3onthego.com/wap/weather/radar/animated/?sid=47&showstorms=10&showids=1

It's cool because if there's a thunderstorm, it'll draw arrows on the radar showing its expected movement.

If you right-click on the animated GIF, you see it's coming from wunderground.com, so maybe there's something in their PDA/MOBILE site that's similiar for your area?

Thanks so much! That web site has a search by zip code, so I was able to get a local link. It's perhaps a bit too simplistic, but it works and it's fast. In an ideal world, I want to see my Intellicast site work in loop- mode, but any of these things work better on my iPhone than any of my previous excuses for phone.
;)

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
iWeathr.com is a good radar for the iPhone....didn't see it mentioned, but I may have missed it...

kevan

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
iWeathr.com is a good radar for the iPhone....didn't see it mentioned, but I may have missed it...

i was just thinking when i saw the weather thread that an application that looked/function just like this would be awesome. to be honest though, i think that i like the first one mentioned on this page better, although there is much less work involved with iweathr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.