weather-resistant (rain,snow,sweat) armband for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by urbanxplorer, Feb 7, 2011.

1. urbanxplorer, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

urbanxplorer macrumors newbie

Any recommendations for an iPhone armband that will protect the phone from rain, snow, and sweat? I live in Buffalo and need to be outside for my marathon training. I've tried the Belkin armband which doesnt even protect from sweat and the Marware SportShell which is open in the front. I'm considering the Amphibx Fit from H2O.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I have the large Amphibix. It seems well made but it is pretty bulky. I haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet, but I really got it for wake boarding (If it survives wake boarding wipe outs it can survive anything). I assume it would work for jogging as well just be a little heavy for my tastes. It' probably one of your best bets for a waterproof armband.

3. urbanxplorer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! That does look like a great armband but I'm looking for something a little less bulky for long runs.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I would seriously look into the armpocket Sport 20.
    http://www.armpocket.com/

I use it all the time for running in the rain and sun of Florida and keeps it perfectly dry and safe. Very comfortable to wear. Stays in place. Also has extra space inside it with two small pockets sewn in so you can fit some wallet essentials or an energy gel packet or something. They even sell them at most BestBuys so you can check them out there rather than having to order online. :)

5. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I 2nd the ArmPocket endorsement. I ran my first marathon last fall using the ArmPocket Sport 20 (I use RunKeeper to track all my runs). Very comfortable, light water resistance (I wouldn't wear in a steady rain), and most importantly it keeps the sweat of my iPhone!

6. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Maybe mine is defective, but I have an Armpocket 20 that lets water in.

The first time, I ran about an hour and 20 minutes most of which was in the pouring rain (rained more than 1/2 inch during that time). I normally would not have headed out in such a downpour, but I looked at the radar and all seemed fine as things were moving away from my location and I had the new "water resistant" Armpocket, but rain blew up after I left. When I got back, I tried to wipe the drops off the outside of the plastic so I could see and oops, they were on the inside. The water sensors are all still fine though, but the phone was wet back and front.

The second time, it was more of a light mist and while the water infiltration was much less, there was still condensation inside the Armpocket.

I have run both times with the zipper down and headphone port up, which seemed like a pretty good seal, but I may try to silicone the headphone port as I use a Jaybird SB2 bluetooth headphone, so no need for an extra hole.