Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I've used the same weather script with GeekTool for years, and just this past week I've noticed that it was displaying the current conditions intermittently and now it's not displaying them at all.

Here is the script used, I've made no changes to it since I started using it a few years ago.

Code:
curl --silent "http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?p=USOH0347&u=f" | grep -E '(Current Conditions:|F<BR)' | sed -e 's/Current Conditions://' -e 's/<br \/>//' -e 's/<b>//' -e 's/<\/b>//' -e 's/<BR \/>//' -e 's/<description>//' -e 's/<\/description>//'

I have no clue what the problem could be - if anyone can figure it out I'd appreciate it :)

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Working here for me as well. Partly Cloudy 55 F. Maybe post in this thread as well. Some pretty clever people there when it comes to weather geeklets.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
How weird. Maybe something is wrong with the settings? Here's a screenshot of how I have that particular geeklet set up, is there anything that should be different? I haven't changed any settings so I'm lost as to why it's no longer displaying.

qyDbvVX.png

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Have you moved it behind another geeklet possibly? Been there, done that myself. As you can see from my screenshots below it is working fine and you can right click on it and move it to the front if need be. Possibly try remaking it again may be another solution.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.53.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.53.19 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.53.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.53.37 PM.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 211

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Have you moved it behind another geeklet possibly? Been there, done that myself. As you can see from my screenshots below it is working fine and you can right click on it and move it to the front if need be. Possibly try remaking it again may be another solution.

There aren't any other geeklets around it that would cover it so I don't think that's the issue.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Then try redoing it. My last suggestion unfortunately. The only other thing is trying the link I posted. Lots of Geektool users in that thread who may have more suggestions. It may be a Post your Geektool desktop thread but lots of questions and ideas thrown around.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Maybe Yahoo blocked your IP address. How often so you have it set to pull the conditions?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Maybe Yahoo blocked your IP address. How often so you have it set to pull the conditions?

Every 10 minutes. It's been set up like that for years though, if that is the case it's odd that it would take this long for that to happen.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That may be too often. Try setting it back to 30 or 45 minutes. But first disable the script and don't pull from Yahoo for a few days so that it has a chance to unban you, if you are banned.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Yahoo has made some recent changes. Maybe even look for a more current script. I had to update mine recently due to icon changes. There are lots of current yahoo geeklets available. My weather script is set to refresh every 900 seconds with no problems.

Just trying to add some additional info & help to what Intell is advising.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I've used the same weather script with GeekTool for years, and just this past week I've noticed that it was displaying the current conditions intermittently and now it's not displaying them at all.

And no one thinks to actually run the script outside of GeekTool and see what the problem might be.

*Especially* the curl invocation.

<sigh>

nicmalone

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
I've been trying to run a 3 or 4 different Reminders.app scripts (by different authors) to display my reminders on the desktop. Nada.

the "osascript /path/to/script.scpt" command works fine in Terminal but gives no output in GeekTool. My old pre-Mavericks weather, date and time apps all still work.

I'm at a loss!

Appleruser

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
geektool issue

hey guy i have been trying all codes to make the picture work but i just cant. can anyone help with the right scripts for the weather picture please?
here is what i have been adding as codes so far:
the shell is working:
curl --silent "http://https://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/illinois/chicago-2379574/" | grep "forecast-icon" | sed "s/.*background\:url(\'\(.*\)\')\;\ _background.*/\1/" | xargs curl --silent -o /tmp/weather1.png\

problem is the pictures here is the codes i used:

1- file:///tmp/weather1.png & i tried file:///localhost...
i actually tried all the codes out there but still couldnt get the image to show
any help will be extremely appreciated.
thx

Appleruser

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2014
help

Yahoo has made some recent changes. Maybe even look for a more current script. I had to update mine recently due to icon changes. There are lots of current yahoo geeklets available. My weather script is set to refresh every 900 seconds with no problems.

Just trying to add some additional info & help to what Intell is advising.
is there any google sources instead of yahoo ?? i posted a thread concerning the same issue if you have any ideas of how to make it work it would be awesome thanks

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
is there any google sources instead of yahoo ?? i posted a thread concerning the same issue if you have any ideas of how to make it work it would be awesome thanks

I do not use weather picture so I would be of no help to you. I strictly run a script to give me the current weather only. Sorry I can not be of further help. Hopefully someone can come along with some helpful advise.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
The current setup I have for showing the weather picture is

Going to http://www.accuweather.com and typing in zip. Then take that url and replace the ** I have in there. (Leave the quotations in there.)

Code:
curl --silent "**" | grep -o 'http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2010/images/icons-numbered/[0-9][0-9]-xl.png' | xargs curl -o /tmp/weather.png

Then second geeklet to show image

Code:
file:///tmp/weather.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.