Weather underground on Apple watch series 3

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
does anyone with a series 3 use the weather underground app? If so, how we’ll does it work?

That app seems to give me the most accurate data for where I live and it’s great in the iPhone but it’s basically unusable on the watch. I open it and then wait and wait and wait and sometimes it will update the temp, but not always and when it does, it takes at least a full minute to do so.

Thanks in advance,

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
I use Carrot Weather which, if you pay for an extra in app purchase can use Weather Underground as a source - it's great for me. You can have another in app purchase to get more regular weather updates on your watch in a complication (fetching data costs money), but I don't find I need it as the weather tends not too change too suddenly where I am.

I have a series 2 Watch and the app launches very quickly. I used to use Weather Underground directly but it was too slow for some reason.

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Interesting. I’ll have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up. That would be fantastic

Reactions: Lee_Bo

Lee_Bo

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2017
Greenville, SC
I was using WU on my original AW and it never updated locations on the watch unless I opened the app on the phone, so I went back to the stock weather app as the location updates were flawless. Recently started using Carrot and haven't been disappointed yet.

Reactions: Cascades42

Sez I

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2018
does anyone with a series 3 use the weather underground app? If so, how we’ll does it work?

That app seems to give me the most accurate data for where I live and it’s great in the iPhone but it’s basically unusable on the watch. I open it and then wait and wait and wait and sometimes it will update the temp, but not always and when it does, it takes at least a full minute to do so.

Thanks in advance,
I've had this problem, too. WU is excruciatingly slow to update.

doubletap

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
Ashburn, VA
I used to have issues with WU being very slow and sometimes not even starting on the AW3, but after the latest update(s), things have gotten a lot better I think.

I still stick to the default weather app for complications though.

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I use BeWeather 2. They use WU's data but especially the Watch App is much better than that of WU's.