Weather Widget With Updates By Location

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jasonmilford, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jasonmilford macrumors member

Is there a weather widget that can auto update by current location or can you change a weather widget to do so?

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Are you on 5.0 or above? Why not use the built in weather widget on the notification center for updated local weather?

3. jasonmilford thread starter macrumors member

I'm on 5.0.1, just wanting to find something to put on home screen or lock screen so I don't have to access notification center all the time.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Lockinfo and IntelliscreenX both integrate the weather widget to the lockscreen and notification center. I don't believe that there is anything for the home screen though. Why is the extra swipe down so inconvenient?

5. tateu macrumors 6502

WeatherIcon - "Puts live weather information on top of the weather icon." It says "the first location from the Apple weather application will be used" but I don't know if "Local Weather On" counts as the "first location."

I had it loaded on my 4s for a few days but figured it probably added atleast some small amount of battery drain and decided it wasn't for me.

6. LithePanther macrumors 6502

I was actually wondering how big a drain it is. Did you notice a difference while using the tweak?

7. tateu macrumors 6502

No, I didn't actually notice any battery drain on my 4s but I didn't really look for it, either. Unless it was really bad, I don't know how I would go about measuring it. My battery performance sometimes fluctuates wildly from day to day. Right now, my wifi doesn't seem to want to turn off when the phone goes to sleep (just started happening this afternoon) and so the battery is draining faster than usual. I am extremely unimpressed with the performance of the 4s in regards to the battery so I figure there is no point adding something that I won't use very often if it might add to the battery drain. If it's something I'd get some good use out of, I'd take the chance.

I live in Los Angeles, we don't get much weather here so I rarely check it. Back in my Blackberry days (right up until 4s launch day), I actually managed and updated an open source weather app and I hardly ever used it.

8. cperchard macrumors 6502a

i use it and it doesn't seem to affect battery....not so much that i notice anyway.......it makes the main app icon show what sort of weather it is....and also adds the pic and temp in the top status bar next to battery %....quite handy.

9. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Be aware that WeatherIcon and the included weather widget in LockInfo are having issues with 5.0.1 JB. I believe it has something to do with LibWeather not being compatible with the local weather features of 5.0+

I used these both extensively on 4.3.3 JB but they stopped working some time after I upgraded to 5.0.1. Turning off local weather helps to some degree but even that stopped working for me.

The developer has acknowledged the problem and is supposed to be working on a fix. However, it's been over 2 weeks now so I'm not holding my breath.

10. LithePanther macrumors 6502

Mine are working fine as far as I know. What issues?

11. The Tos macrumors 6502a

i am seeing the same problem with it not working with local weather. hopefully a fix is on the way.

12. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Lockinfo and WeatherIcon froze on Thursday the 9th of Feb for me and have not updated since. No amount of restore/re-JB/reboot/uninstall/re-install will make them work for me.

13. tateu macrumors 6502

LibWeather was just updated today - "Fixes issues on iOS5 and Adds support for Local weather if enabled in the weather app." I haven't tried it but this should probably allow WeatherIcon to work with local weather.

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Or you could download Dreamboard and use Endroid, which utilizes an Android skin (replicating an HTC Inspire 4G) with all the iOS goodness? Just another possible option for ya. And it is easy to alter the code and images at the bottom, so the Phone button actually works (instead of a Dreamboard button), as does the Optimize key in the bottom right. I really wish Apple would start integrating real widgets.

[​IMG]