Weather Widget

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anpaman, Mar 26, 2019.

1. anpaman macrumors member

Hi all

I was use high sierra and found weather widget hasn"t work.

How to fix it ?

Thank

[​IMG]

2. kretek macrumors member

3. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

After a five minutes google ... guessing it might be related to this :
    https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/
    "Important EOL Notice: As of Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, the weather.yahooapis.com and query.yahooapis.com for Yahoo Weather API will be retired."

I just fired up an old PowerBook with OS X 10.5. The Apple provided widget uses AccuWeather data and that still works fine! So it changed somewhere between 10.6 and 10.9 to Yahoo.

Went looking for other alternative widgets, this is the only one I can find that still works : https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25448/accuweather-com-widget

5. HDFan macrumors 65816

Although not a widget, forecast bar (available from the app store) displays in the menu bar. Extremely informative with current conditions, multiple day forecasts, temperature graphs, rain probabilities, radar, etc.

6. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

Could somebody upload the older AccuWeather version of the widget? I'm on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (aesthetic reasons) and my weather widget is blank-- using that Yahoo API.

7. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

Same as @Princess Cake my weather widget is broken on my 2008 iMac and 2008 MacBook, both running 10.6.8.

8. 960design, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019

960design macrumors 68030

Yeah. Weather Underground API is closed end of 2018 as well.
    Time to build a scraper.

9. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

You might want to consider ditching the dashboard. It’s been deprecated for a while now and Notifications have largely replaced it. The Notifications concept is used for iOS too. Stuff breaking like you and other posters have mentioned is only going to get worse. I moved on a few years ago now and forgot the dashboard even existed until you mentioned it. I get the same functionality from Notifications.

10. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

I've been doing fine living in the past. I'm using a 2010 iMac with Snow Leopard on it as I feel that was the last time Apple had their head on straight. Once Lion arrived everything was about making things work like a phone and use cloud storage (I have several 2TB hard drives, I've never needed it)

I've already had to deal with shortcomings like the iTunes store no longer being accessible in iTunes 8, and having to find a modern browser like NewMoon to replace Safari but in the end I've always made things work to a satisfying level.

What I don't like is Apple and other companies using their Planned Obsolescence powers to shoot into my little corner of the past and destroy things like my Weather widget. Surprise surprise, some of us actually LIKE Dashboard and the ability to touch a hot corner and have a full screen of stats, data, and other content.

11. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

The store works in 8 for me fine, I just can't open albums, the list view is good though.

12. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

You sure you're trying to access it on iTunes 8 and not 11?

[​IMG]

13. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

iTunes 8.2.1, actually I got on to take a picture and it came up with the same error. It seems to only work sometimes, I usually use Mavericks for my iTunes purchases because it's so unreliable

14. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Expecting any company to keep supporting old products in perpetuity is pretty pathetic. If you want it then learn to code it yourself.

15. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

Its not an old product, Dashboard is still present in Mojave. Apple disables it by default but the software is still there and many people still use it despite what you Notification Center lovers insist (let's see how defensive you get when Notification Center stops working because some other new garbage replaced it)

And really this isn't a case of a company not wanting to pay to have their service accessible- Yahoo still provides weather on their website like always but they removed the API that allowed Dashboard to read it remotely. This is the same crud that happened when Facebook stopped allowing iChat/Messages to interface with Facebook Messenger forcing us all to use the web browser or Facebook's own bloated software.

Don't defend this, from my point of view you're the one being pathetic thinking removing simple convenience is clearing a path for the future.

16. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

Apple should update the widget or remove it. There should not be a completely non-functional item present in their current OS.

17. steve23094, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019

steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

You clearly haven’t because you then go on to moan that:

I don’t care if you want to live stuck at some point frozen in the past. It doesn’t effect me. But what does annoy me is then whingeing about it. Put on your big girl or boy pants and deal with it, because it’s a decision you have made so you have to deal with the consequences.

Clearly not that many, if it was a wildly successful product it would still be front and centre. And it would seem of those that do still use it most accept the limitations of a product that’s no longer actively developed.

No.. really.. I won’t. I have used computers for long enough to know when a change is made you’re better off accepting it and learning how to make the best use of it. Otherwise you drift further and further behind. I’m not a Luddite.

Unless you want to develop your own software then your choices are to accept change, migrate to something else, or stay where you are. But for gods sake, if you have made your choice to remain rooted in the past don’t then moan that something is no longer supported. It’s tiresome.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2019 ---
    You’re probably right. I imagine it will likely be removed in a future version of macOS.

18. MIKX macrumors 6502a

MIKX

My weather widget is working again in High Sierra.

19. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

My widget is working again too on Snow Leopard. Not sure if Yahoo changed something or Apple changed the source of the data.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

21. dandeco macrumors 6502

Likewise. When it was down I'd have to either use the weather app on my iPod Touch, or ask the Alexa unit in my room what the current temperature is (spring is here, you know!)

22. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

Working again on my Snow Leopard ^.^ I can once again see the god-awful weather northern Michigan is getting!
    [​IMG]

23. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

24. anpaman thread starter macrumors member

25. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon