Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Why is it when I go to a LOT of Mac sites (e.g. MacLife and others) I am greeted with Microsoft, Vista and Sony Vaio ads. I'm here because I HATE THEM ALL :mad:. Do they think an annoying banner ad will bring me back?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
A lot of times they don't necessarily choose the banner ads themselves. They are chosen automatically by the ad partner. (Usually Google) Here at MR there are occasionally a few annoying ads (but are taken down asap mind you) that weren't explicitly chosen.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
A lot of times they don't necessarily choose the banner ads themselves. They are chosen automatically by the ad partner. (Usually Google) Here at MR there are occasionally a few annoying ads (but are taken down asap mind you) that weren't explicitly chosen.

Thanks for the calm response. I think I was in a snit when I posted. I needed something quick, and got a full page Vaio ad that I had to click through to get to the main site. I thought web marketing was supposed to be targeted marketing, so these windows-related ads feel like taunting. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.