Web Browser for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamDonut, Jun 3, 2011.

1. JamDonut macrumors member

Hi all,

i realise this may be better suited to 'Mac Applications and Mac App store' but trying to keep this specific to alu-unibody MBP

does anyone have any knowledge of the best web browser for temps and CPU usage for a 13", or maybe even 15/17" for other users

i use safari because i use MobileMe but have recently given Chrome a chance because apparently Safari is pretty CPU intensive? is this true, does anyone have preferences/information on the most practical web browser for the MBP, ignoring user preference to the layout of the browser, or is there *embarrassingly* near enough no difference?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really doesn't matter as much which browser you use, as much as the content of sites you visit. If you're on sites with Flash, you're going to experience higher workload and temps.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

the usage of safari isn't really cpu "intensive" at all, and it uses around 120mb of memory as well. in terms of switching your browser for the sake of cpu/ram, i think you will see similar results for all of them. just choose whatever you are most comfortable with and favor the most.

4. JamDonut thread starter macrumors member

5. GGJstudios, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I have always found Safari to load up quicker than Firefox, so I stuck with Safari.

7. uplusd macrumors 6502

Safari definitely feels like the most "mac-suited" browser. Chrome/Firefox feel like cheap ports.

8. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd go with Safari. I use it on my 2011 15" MBP and haven't had any problems.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

[SARCASM]I like to use IE9. It's pretty good.[/SARCASM]

10. Kafka macrumors 6502

After doing comparisons on my i5 13"MBP between Safari and Chrome watching Flash videos, it was clear that Chrome used more CPU, caused more heat, and sucked more battery life. So now I use Safari with ClickToFlash.

Also be aware that on the 15" and 17" MBPs, Flash on Chrome activates the dGPU, making that even worse and forcing you to fumble with gfxCardStatus. Safari doesn't do that.