Web Browser Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lifeinhd, Jun 11, 2011.

1. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I used to use FireFox, but after several updates, esp. to FF4, it got to be really sluggish-- beachballing after clicking anything, typing was lagging horribly, etc. So I switched to Opera, which I'd had a good experience with before. Same story. I do have an unusually large number (for most people) of tabs open-- 70 atm-- but FF used to be able to handle 120+ tabs no problem.

I don't have a ton of stuff open right now, just Opera, Word, a VNC server, iTunes iChat, Preview, and the Software Updater. Every app besides Opera runs fine. Switching Spaces is smooth, Exposé is smooth-- it's just the browser that sucks. Temps right now are 77 degrees. Quit the browser, and they drop to 62. I just don't get it.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can't imagine any work flow that would be enhanced from having 70-120 tabs opened at a time, but we all have our own preferences I suppose

I believe browsers are beginning to handle tabs differently and independently these days with the newer updates, so perhaps that is putting a heavier load on your system

3. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

So maybe a newer system is in order? I'm using the first C2D MBP, ram maxed out, 7200 RPM WD drive installed.

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

5. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd