Web Browsers on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaze46, May 25, 2011.

1. Kaze46 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I currently have a mid 2010 macbook pro and I've been doing research on the matter of web browsers, now at first I used google chrome and then changed to safari, I like both but I have a bit a obsession. Currently Safari rises a lot on memory usage and thats with extensions off and chrome spikes the cpu from time to time. My question is which is the lesser of the two evils, memory hogging or cpu hogging on a laptop. (core i5 with 4gb ram)

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Do you know what it is about Chrome that pegs the CPU? Is it Flash? That'd be my guess. You could install a little program called "Flashblock". I feel the same as you do about Safari. I like the browser but I tend to not close the application very often and I always have a lot of tabs open, and it just annihilates my RAM.

3. Kaze46, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

Kaze46 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have flash block on it, still spikes and cpu gets significantly hotter and also I'm running the latest version.
    I would be happy if safari would just release the ram better, two tabs now, no flash video and its at 490 mb.

4. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Just browsing the web and listening to Pandora causes my CPU to have 3% used on Chrome. (base 21.5" iMac 2010 model)
    I have Adblock and Flashblock installed.

5. Kaze46 thread starter macrumors newbie

the cpu doesn't run hotter? .... even though it doesn't affect you (no battery)

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If your running on battery then memory hogging in the better one to go with.