Web browsers way too saturated

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by znerk, Mar 21, 2014.

1. znerk macrumors newbie

Hello

I own a Mac PRO and a Nec monitor.

When I compare Safari and Chrome(or firefox), colors look way too saturated on Chrome and firefox.

Safari shows images realistic, but Chrome and Firefox looks way too saturated.

Any tips?

2. SadChief macrumors regular

SadChief

I stopped using Chrome on some sites because of this. I suspect some Google Chrome colour rendering tricks as I can see the same thing (in a lesser extent though) on my MBP. On my calibrated NEC monitor the difference with Safari is eye-striking. (I don't use Firefox).

3. znerk thread starter macrumors newbie

It's actually equally bad with Firefox.
    I just say wtf :S

4. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Check is your monitors colorspace is set to sRGB or rec709 and not AdobeRGB or something else.

5. znerk thread starter macrumors newbie

Its actually set to Spectraview, as the screen is calibrated with Spectraview.

6. riggles macrumors 6502

It's been a little while since I looked into this, but it could be because Safari supports Color profiles better than the others by default. I believe Chrome and Firefox used to have URL command line options in handling color profiles or images that weren't tagged with one. It's possible this is why you're seeing differences.

7. znerk thread starter macrumors newbie

Ye its actually is. I disabled the hardware and color profile in firefox, and the colors were correct. The problem was that the image showed far too many details. Compared to safari the image had way too much details, and it was way too sharp.. even though I got color fixed.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Most browsers don't respect embedded colour profiles, so that may be the root to your problems.

9. mjohnson1212 macrumors member

Use the NEC multi-profiler tool to set the display to sRGB when you are not doing any color critical work and then set it back to wide gamut with your calibrated setting when you are.

10. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

As others have said if it's an NEC wide gamut display only viewing in Firefox with force color as tagged turned on will display all sites correctly if you arent using the NEC sRGB mode. (My older 2690wuxi2 has a horrible srgb mode).

So to sum it up:

Firefox: Can force all images to use sRGB using the about:config settings
    Safari: Will show tagged images correctly but all others will be over-saturated
    Chrome: Don't use with a wide gamut display

11. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I have the exact same issue.
    Safari displays colors accurately while colors appear too saturated in Firefox.

12. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I just found a solution >>>

Open Firefox...then:

Source:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144343-Setting-Firefox-to-quot-better-quot-colormanagement

Now Firefox displays colors the same way Safari does.