Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What browser do you use in X?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Netscape

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • OmniWeb

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • iCab

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Opera

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Mozilla

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
i've never tryed anything but netscape and internet explorer. but i must say that before i got my computer with os x, i thought that the best browser was IE under WINDOWS. i could never get the cache to work right under netscape or ie for mac (i'm on a 56k) but i used netscape anyway. when i got this computer, i was amazed at how good this (ie) program was. excellent "back" function that saves your page cache efficiently. the customizability is the best I'VE seen especially the toolbars. i'l try icab and omniweb though.
i don't know why i haven't yet. but the best thing about IE whether it's a good thing or not is that it's the most widely used.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Re: browsers and OSX on G3s

I prefer that Apple does not preinstall stuff, it is easy to download what you need. If you had a big problem downloading Omniweb, then you probably have a problem with your system or your connection. You should do a little maintenance, Apple cant preload that for you. [/B][/QUOTE]

How does the average user navigate the web to find a browser if they don't have a browser???

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by macfreek57
i've never tryed anything but netscape and internet explorer. but i must say that before i got my computer with os x, i thought that the best browser was IE under WINDOWS. i could never get the cache to work right under netscape or ie for mac (i'm on a 56k) but i used netscape anyway. when i got this computer, i was amazed at how good this (ie) program was. excellent "back" function that saves your page cache efficiently. the customizability is the best I'VE seen especially the toolbars. i'l try icab and omniweb though.
i don't know why i haven't yet. but the best thing about IE whether it's a good thing or not is that it's the most widely used.

If you think IE is customizable, Opera will blow your mind. Too bad the Carbon version isn't quite ready yet. I think it handles cache much better than IE does. I use Opera 6 as my primary browser in Windows. I think it's about the only program I actually enjoy using when I'm on my PeeCee.

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
OmniWeb on Apple?

I don't have a single problem with OmniWeb opening Apple.com, I haven't had one problem yet....

If you want me to validate this tell me and i can show some screenshots but i can't see what is wrong? I tried all the pages on the site and nothing crashes once....Please explain?

jail

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
Australia
netscape 6 is best

shure, it's impossibly slow to open a new window, but on my 56K modem, pages load about 3 times faster than ie! that has me conned. pluss the mail settup is great, easy to use, and lets you do real html in your emails. i am not happy with netscape, but it's better than anything else out there in power, it easy enough to use, and i like the toolbar (back, forward, reload, stop). opera is meant to be fast, but the beta doesn't even open. maybe when the full version comes out...

if only apple could come up with iSurf

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Beta doesn't open? Opens fine for me. My complaint is that buttons show up weird when they are close together. Yeah, maybe in the final release. I like Netscape as well, except that it is really slow to open and scroll.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
hey thx to everyone for information on OmniWeb. it seems to be a very good client except for some font issues and one major thing. i have a question.

how do you get omniweb to save your window size in order to keep the default new window size where i want it. the default is too small for me.

UPDATE: found it...i am dumb. Browser:Save Window Size

MisterX

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2002
Bill Gates has arthritis

Gates afflicted with arthritis......

Attachments

• gates.jpg
    gates.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 188

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: OmniWeb on Apple?

Originally posted by Microsoft_Windows_Hater
I don't have a single problem with OmniWeb opening Apple.com, I haven't had one problem yet....

If you want me to validate this tell me and i can show some screenshots but i can't see what is wrong? I tried all the pages on the site and nothing crashes once....Please explain?

The problem lie in going to http://www.macrumor.com STRAIGHT after going to http://www.apple.com, the app crashes.

I would use Onmi all the time but it can not handle simple Java script like popup menus and redirecting correctly. In other words, the site I designed for this business does not work past the first page.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Choppaface
IE b/c it supports everything

IE is great but it's too bloated and slow.
I still use it, though, because I prefer bloated and usable to fast but unable to perform simple tasks.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

I still use it, though, because I prefer bloated and usable to fast but unable to perform simple tasks.

its frightening that microsoft's "bloated" "slow" barely functional ugly web browser, internet explorer, is the only properly functioning browser for osx. i really hope netscape or omniweb get their acts together and offer macintosh users a real alternative to ie.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
its frightening that microsoft's "bloated" "slow" barely functional ugly web browser, internet explorer, is the only properly functioning browser for osx. i really hope netscape or omniweb get their acts together and offer macintosh users a real alternative to ie.

How is it "barely functional" and "ugly"? I think it is FAR more attractive than most browsers and it has the most functionality of all of them.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

well, in os X it opens in 2 seconds flat, and i never have to wait for anything if i want to switch windows in it...so its pretty fast over here (dual 500 g4)

as for 9.x...well netscape isnt very stabile I've found

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002

well, in os X it opens in 2 seconds flat, and i never have to wait for anything if i want to switch windows in it...so its pretty fast over here (dual 500 g4)

as for 9.x...well netscape isnt very stabile I've found

Oh yeah, loading time is GREAT but I think that has more to do with OSX than IE. If you have ever used one of the smaller browers, like Omniweb, ESPECIALLY for internal work, you will see what real page loading speed is.

I guess what it comes down to is we all want the most features with the least wait but more features = more to load and, therefore, a brower that can not do everything has the ability to run MUCH faster.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
well, I have cable, and patience. so theres not really any reason to go the trouble of trying to figure out a new browser for me :D

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
well, I have cable, and patience. so theres not really any reason to go the trouble of trying to figure out a new browser for me :D

When you are dealing with HTML text, does not really matter whether you have cable or dial up.... all loads pretty similar, I have found. That patience, though, is something that will take you a LONG way

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
also I do web design stuff, and IE certainly emulates IE on windows the best. I remember reading (I think) that omniweb doesnt even have full or proper CSS support, JS support, and other things that IE fully supports. is this true, or was I reading about a different browser?

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I couldn't stand IE for years: In those halcyon pre-OS9 days, I always used Netscape - I didn't want to fall into the Microsoft category. Then at work, I got to use IE, and began to like it (considering Netscape was lagging behind in the updates at the time).

After I got the G4 - running OS9 - I made IE the browser of choice, and it's never let me down. Now, I'm on OSX - and the browser fits in nicely. Obviously Apple knows that there's no conflicts with it's OS, otherwise they wouldn't have put it in X.

I downloaded Opera this morning - held my breath - and gave it a burl. At least I tried it out and gave it the benefit of the doubt. I found out that I could do everything I can do on IE, but I'd have to change all my preferences and bookmarks...

...a pain in anyone's language. Maybe I'll check it out again when it goes final.

I dunno - call me old-fashioned... but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
iSurf

iSurf: Good idea

Apple already had Cyber Dog (remember that?) a couple of years back. Where did that go? Maybe they put that code into the Mail app for rendering HTML emails. I don't know. But they could team up with OmniWeb and create a freakin' awesome browser. I know they would never do this, unless it was a purely speech activated browser that spoke the webpage back to you in perfect english (what am I talking about?).

Anyways, IE is the best browser for the Mac. It displays ever kind of internet technology 5 times better than any other browser. Other browsers just render HTML, IE renders all the goodies. No other browser is as good as doing JavaScript then IE is. Netscape has a good idea by bundling a multi-app into Navigator, but it's too slow. OmniWeb would be my second choice, but it's anti-aliasing text messes tables up and stuff. iCab is quick, but not good at JavaScript and stuff. Opera, I haven't really tried, but it reminds me of Netscape (blah).

Basically, IE is the best because Microsoft makes it (not because Microsoft is good, but because Microsoft has $$$).

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
WOW!

update:

OmniWeb Public Beta 4.1 ROCKS!!!

not only does it STILL look so much better due to antialiasing, but its MUCH faster. GO GET IT NOW!!!

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
"if it ain't broke don't fix it" has been bumped by chaos theory. chaos theory has shown "if it ain't broke, you ain't looking hard enough".

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
everyone needs to try out the BETA of OmniWeb. If they get the Flash/Shockwave stuff together, it will be THE browser of choice, hands-down. It loads on my iBook in less than 2 bounces now and is just as fast as IE. Except we all know it LOOKS so much better.

http://www.omnigroup.com

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Omniweb

I unfortunately use IE on OS X. I will probably use Omniweb in the next release, but right now it crashes too often and is not compatible with everything I need it to be. And before anyone asks, Omniweb doesn't crash on anything in particular, it just has a tendancy to go down every once in a while. IE goes down, but not as often as Omniweb.

BTW- when does Omniweb 4.1 come out? I thought it was supposed to be this month.

Matthew

AtlantaGuy

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I wish there was a fully compatible Mac browser out there. I keep running into websites (mostly real estate related) that require Windows & IE 5.5 + ... even the Atlanta Board of Realtors site! Of course, these are the same people who tell me there are only 4 Mac-using Realtors in our metro area of over 4,000,000 people! Then they ever-so-condescendingly suggest I "upgrade" to a Windows machine. Screw that!

Come on, MW Tokyo. I'm chomping at the bit for the Mac-Daddy of notebooks. And in July, perhaps a G5 tower and an articulating Cinema Display for the office desk??!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.