web browsers!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benneh, Mar 3, 2008.

1. benneh macrumors member

hey all

I'm getting tee-bit frustrated with both my browsers (Safari and FF), as they both love to crash. FF crashes waaaaaay too often, and Safari can't handle any more than 5 tabs before freezing up.

What browser do you use??

Also if anyone has any suggestions as to optimise my browsers, let me know too! For my FF, the add-ons i have are:
    web developer toolbar
    firebug
    foxytunes
    measureit!
    colorzilla

thanks!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I use Firefox 3 nightly (Minefiled) and love it. The new features are cool, it's sexy and has only crashed twice in about 2 months. Try it.
    All extensions except MeasureIt! work with FF3.

3. benneh thread starter macrumors member

I'm assuming its very stable?
    I don't normally try anything that's still in beta stage ...Hope my add-on work though

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you need to check and see if all your extensions work with recent firefox 3 nightly.

I agree, firefox 3 beta3/beta4 is native on OSX, alot of attention are paid to OSX platform in this release specially. It very snappy, the app is fast and responsive. Speedy and stable.

5. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I usually use Safari or the Webkit Nightly Builds that have been rendering pages faster than Safari. I think FF3 beta has the same new updates that are seen in the Webkit Nightly Builds.

6. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

Try using Adblock to remove some of the superfluous script files. I think that it improves my FF reliability with some sites (I say think because it's really difficult to test). It seems logical that cutting down on the amount of files and remote pages loaded would help.

The other setting -- which I'm sure you've found -- is to remember the session state so that if (when) it crashes or hangs you can re-load your pages.

7. epmatsw macrumors member

If you're worried about the stability of a beta, you shouldn't go for the nightlies. They're basically the bleeding edge and don't always have the bugs worked out. I use Opera(9.5b) personally, but I keep Firefox(3b3) on my dock as well, they're both excellent.

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Safari with 20+ tabs doesn't crash. Maybe it's his computer?

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its always possible, but crash can be caused by so many reasons, its hard to fix..

11. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

My Safari rarely crashes, and usually have at least 5+ tabs open.

Perhaps you can check out the console next time this happens and post it here?

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If benneh is really sick of those two web browsers, then I invite him to read through this link.

13. icoffee macrumors regular

Safari rarely crashes for me on 10.5.2....maybe once every few weeks. I do have 4gb of ram though, so I rarely see a spinning beach ball which is usually the precursor to Safari crashing.

14. benneh thread starter macrumors member

could be right as I have lots of junk on my machine.. kinda went crazy with installing apps when i first got the Mac.

Will do a fresh re-install and upgrade of RAM, and hopefully taht fixes it. Meantime I'll try out FF3b3.. So far i'm experiencing incorrect render of some CSS and sIFR, but at least its not crashing!

thanks everyone!

15. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Do any of the Mac web browsers/ mail clients also offer news readers the way Outlook Express does on Windows?
    I really miss this feature and find myself using the Win XP installation on my Mac very often just to be able to access the usenet newsgroups. there are some great open forum-type newsgroups on usenet.

16. tbohlsennswssrg macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

I have 8 Web Browsers, they are:

Cammio
    FireFox
    iCab
    iPhoney (a iPhone Web Browser Simulator)
    Netscape Navigator
    Omniweb
    Opera
    Safari (most used)

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think most email clients do, I am sure Thunderbird does newsgroup. Not sure if it does it in exactly OE way.

WHat is OE way anyway?