iPad mini web browsing on smaller screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ventuss, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

Thinking about buying an iPad mini 2...

Since the introduction of the retina display (9.7"iPad), I never had to use landscape orientation while browsing the web, everything fits fine, text is readable.

For those who have an iPad mini 2 or 3, how is your experience when web browsing? Do you need landscape orientation or you can survive with portrait?

2. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

I rarely go into landscape while browsing on the rMini. I actually prefer the size of the mini to the 9.7" counterpart for portrait web browsing.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I never use landscape on the mini; however, I do think browsing is better on the full size ipad. I still find myself using pinch to zoom on the mini. If you are mostly using the ipad at home, I suggest the full size.

I had the mini 2 and my GF has the ipad air. Whenever I would see her browsing on the Air I was envious of the screen real estate. Since I rarely use the ipad outside of the house I bought the Air 2.

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The is a bookmarklet macro to increase font size that was posted on the iPad forum when the first gen Mini was released. Do a search and try to find it.

Using this has basically eliminated landscape browsing on my Mini.

5. yegon macrumors 68020

This is the bookmarklet, you can modify the size increase if you change the numbers;

javascript:var%20p=document.getElementsByTagName('*');for(i=0;i%3Cp.length;i++)%7Bif(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize)%7Bvar%20s=parseInt(p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize.replace(%22px%22,%22%22));%7Delse%7Bvar%20s=12;%7Ds+=4;p%5Bi%5D.style.fontSize=s+%22px%22%7D

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I probably do about half of my Mini browsing in landscape, while I almost never used landscape on my iPad 1. That said, I like the size and portability of the Mini so well, it's hardly a hardship to have to zoom or to rotate the orientation.

The bookmarklet looks useful, thanks for posting it!

7. yegon macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's quite handy, although I used it more with the Mini 1 than Mini 2 - the increased res of the latter made small text so much more legible.

8. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Having both sizes and performing work as well as personal tasks, I prefer to use the desktop version of web pages via iPad Air not my mini 2. The Air is just as easy to carry.

Alternatively my iPhone 6+ also serves me quite nicely when doing a small amount of work.

9. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have the Air 2 and mini 2 and use landscape for browsing on both. The mini is the device that leaves the house, but at home I always use the Air and prefer it for web browsing or anything else really, but it doesn't fit in my purse.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

I do most of my browsing in landscape on my iPad Mini 2 since I have one of those Folio stand cases. It works out pretty well.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have not web browsing on my iPad at all only on my rMBP :apple:

12. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Tough...hmmm...

Well to be honest, I have a rmini2 and I almost never use it for anything that I need to do substantial web browsing for, that is what my iMac is for. For games or just the quick "check something" then the mini is fine, but I never use landscape mode, I almost always forget it is there.

Ironically my fiancee has the iPad Air and it weighs about the same as my Mini2 :D I just like the hand held smaller devices. I also have the 8" Tab S and it is my go to as it is lighter than the mini.

Not that you care about my rambling haha it's early and my coffee just kicked in!

I guess what I am saying is that any substantial web surfing is still best left to the larger devices/computers in my opinion that is. Especially if doing things like booking flights, online purchases etc.

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I'm replying in vertical mode but use horizontal when I need to. really don't find it it's a problem switching between the two although primarily vertical.
    By the way, I have an iPad Air and use it in exactly the same way.

14. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

The only time I ever use landscape mode on my iPads is when I am forced to by the app. I pretty much exclusively use portrait mode, even on my mini. To me, it just seems more comfortable.