Web calendar hangs ...

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by gwerhart0800, Jul 23, 2008.

1. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I am trying to access the MobileMe web calendar application from my work WinXP system. I am using Safari (because IE7 is not supported) and it just hangs with the "Loading events ...". Contacts work fine, e-mail (such as it is) loads, but calendar never loads.

Is this just an issue with access from Windows or from a corporate firewall? Or do others have the same problem?

Also, I think this has been reported, but e-mail items deleted on my iPhone are still in my inbox. Curiously, when I delete one of the already deleted items, all of the ones that I deleted on the iPhone disappear at the same time. Weird!

MobileMess really should have been rolled out as a new service, separate from dot mac with a slower more controlled ramp up ... after they had proven in all of the features/functions, they could have done a controlled transition of the original dot mac users. This is a textbook example of how to fail at large scale launches of complicated web enabled services.

2. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

I did the chat thing yesterday and they had me unregister my PC to MobileMe and My iPhone, then re-sync from the PC and reconfigure my iPhone, it worked for me. My MM is working pretty good again. My calendar never worked before this. Try it.

3. gwerhart0800 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hoop jumping for Apple!!!

I have done a bunch of things to attempt to get this to work. Including:

1. Remove/reinstall iTunes and the Mobile Device Support.
    2. Wipe and reload the calendar via sync with the iCal and also with Outlook.

I have limits on how far I am willing to go to make this work ... I have effectively reached them. At my hourly rate, Apple owes me big time for being their system tester.

BTW, calendar changes done on my iPhone are not getting sync'd to iCal. Broken, Broken, Broken!!!!

So, the web calendar is a POS until they make it work without extensive hoop jumping on the part of the user!!! :mad:

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

When I first installed I could not get the Calendar to display without errors on the Web until I did the following (suggested by someone else here).

1. When an error appears, hit the escape button.

2. Use the + (lower left) to create a Group (does not matter what).

After that I did not have any more problems with the Web Calendar.

I believe the browser has a problem displaying the calendar if there is not Group defined.

5. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

Many have found that...

Many have found that... re-occurring events cause iCal to hang online. I found the same thing. I re did all re-occurring events and all is well.... Check yours!

6. gwerhart0800 thread starter macrumors 6502

When you say "I re did all re-occurring events", I must ask ... where did you redo them? Meaning what calendar (iCal, Outlook, iPhone, etc.) did you use when you made the changes.

It is uncool that reoccurring calendar entries would cause the web calendar app to hang. My reoccuring events come from my Outlook calendar and it would be a pain to have to remove and recreate all of them with the additional note information attached. (Like conference bridge numbers and access codes!)

Let me know what calendar program you were using .... thanks.

No error ever appears, the web calendar gets stuck loading and never comes back with any errors or messages. I am going to try the recurring calendar event trick. Some of my recurring events showed up an hour earlier because it looks like the MobileMess sync does not handle daylight savings time correctly.

BTW: Events seem to be tied to the original time they were posted, then in the sync. For example, I have a recurring meeting at 7AM for the summer (daylight savings time), but it shifts to 6AM for non-daylight savings time. (Oh the pleasures of working with a multinational, multitime zone team!!!) When I synced my outlook calendar, the event sync'd at 6AM, not the current 7AM. The meeting was originally scheduled in non-daylight savings time.

I am wondering if more than one person at Apple actually tested any of this. There seem to be so many issues that should have been found during whatever internal testing they should have done.

7. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

I am on Mac's and use iCal - sorry

8. gwerhart0800 thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem solved itself in a bad way ...

All of my calendar entries have disappeared, so I no longer have any problems getting into the web calendar application. Ah, the freedom of an empty calendar.

I can only hope that Apple gets this figured out before my trial membership expires. At this point, I can't imagine trusting the cloud with anything. Strangely, I now have two "Outlook Calendar" entries in the on line calendar ... both equally blank.

I have not sync'd my Outlook with MobileMess for a while and now I fear that if I do sync, it will wipe out my calendar on the WinXp box too.

Losing data is the worst of all sins!