Web Cam For OS 9

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MaxRady, Apr 5, 2008.

1. MaxRady macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you guys. I am trying to hook up a webcam to an old iBook, it is currently running OS 9.1. I am trying to hook up a webcam so this computer can communicate with a MacBook. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what kind of webcam will work? Will i have to upgrade this computer to OS X? Is this even possible? Any help would be awesome! thanks a lot!

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

3. MaxRady thread starter macrumors member

It is the second generation iBook G3. It looks like its got 128 MB RAM, 8MB virtual RAM, 500 MHz processor(at least). It runs pretty smoothly (much to my surprise).

4. MacHipster macrumors 6502

There are webcams for it, but they'd be off the market. Most available webcams require 9.2.

5. MaxRady thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the info. Now will the quality be pretty bad, like ot the point of not being able to stand it, or will it be tolerable?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The webcam was pioneered on the Mac by Connectix. That was back in System 7 days. Connectix sold the business to Logitech. Image quality is determined by your hardware and network connection. The OS has little to do with it.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fortunately that is a free update.

8. MaxRady thread starter macrumors member

Ok yeah i figured it would be updatable, but i am not really familiar with anything before OS X, since that is when i made the switch from windows to apple. Thanks for your help guys, i appreciate it.