Web cam for time lapse video

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by /dev/toaster, Sep 13, 2008.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am looking for a good camera alternative to the iSight. Basically, I am going to be pointing it out my window towards the financial district and make a time lapse video automatically everyday.

So, I am looking for 2 things. An alternative to the iSight, not that there is anything wrong with it I want to know my options. I am also looking for software to automatically handle all this for me, donation-ware, free or commercial is ok. (As long as not expensive)

Any help is greatly appreciated as always :p I will post the URL once I get it up and running (No ETA, not rushing into it)

2. electrikalex macrumors newbie

Try this app out

http://gawker.sourceforge.net

Its free...I've never tried it but it looks like it does just what you asked you for

As for alternative webcams...there's the apple isight camera (not the one in ur mac) There's also a lot of logitech ones which i take it are the most popular

3. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Excellent, that looks like it will work well.

Funny thing is, I can not find the iSight camera any where on Apples website. Regardless, its more expensive then I wanted to spend on a camera that doesn't do HD. (Not looking for HD, but if I am going to spend the money it has to be HD)

I honestly don't know the level of support for web cams on Mac. I know Linux has a ton of problems when it comes to it, very few drivers most of which are crap.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Apple discontinued the external iSight a while ago. Any camera should work, OS X has supported USB webcams since a later update to Tiger (10.4.10?).

5. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I had a feeling it was discounted, surprised they haven't released an updated model.

Buying USB hardware is always a gamble if you aren't using Windows. Something that has pissed me off for a long time. Logitech has a bad habit of releasing very poor OS X drivers, so anything Logitech makes me cringe.

6. electrikalex macrumors newbie

Driver

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/
    "macam is a driver for USB webcams on Mac OS X. It allows hundreds of USB webcams to be used by many Mac OS X video-aware applications. The aim is to support as many webcams as possible."

That looks like it should solve compatibility issues...Also, a lot of logitech webcams do say they support mac.. are u certain the drivers for it are not good???

7. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ah, the generic drivers could work good for this case. Anything I buy will be from a local store so I can easily return it if it doesn't work perfect.

Sorry, the drivers I was complaining about were the Logitech mouse drivers. I have a Logitech revolution and the Logitech drivers cause kernelpanics all the time and lag out every once in a while for no reason. Logitech has more or less refused to fix the issue and blame my hardware for the problems. Even though there are countless posts of people complaining about the LCC drivers and how bad they are.