Web clip/movie issue in Chrome/Firefox

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by malman89, Jan 21, 2012.

1. malman89, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

malman89 macrumors 68000

So lately I've been having a really weird issue with video playback on my MacBook. It has never really cropped up before this past week or so, but has gotten extremely common the last few days.

What I do is I'll be watching a video on Netflix, NHL.com, YouTube, whatever. It's usually when I hop between tabs with the video open that the distortion is most likely to happen - I typically jump tabs with either Ctrl+Tab or Cmd+Option+Arrow. Software is up to date. Adobe is up to date. I typically run Chrome and this issue due to it being less finicky with certain sites (NHL.com for instance), but due to the common place nature of this bug, I tried using Firefox and it gets the same issue too.

I've got a link below showing what sort of happens. Sometimes it's worse with a very high pitched robotic distortion that kind of carries on even after closing the tab. Although this clip isn't the worst, it actually fixed itself right after, which doesn't happen often. Typically the video lags/freezes, the audio gets unsynced, and the audio gets distorted as in the video. Usually I have to reload the page entirely. Any thoughts?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12848871/video issue.mov - Just click to stream. Also sorry for the size. I chose the web export and that sure did compact the file as well as the resolution, but you get the picture. I had The Office (UK) in Netflix and was just flipping over to the exit polling data on CNN.

2. malman89 thread starter macrumors 68000

3. malman89 thread starter macrumors 68000

No one in all the interwebs has a thought on this?

Debating taking it into the Apple store, but not sure what help they would be.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

does it happen in Safari

maybe your mouse is over the video and our accidently pinching to zoom which could make it looked wacky

5. malman89 thread starter macrumors 68000

Could try when I'm at home, but I'd prefer to not use Safari for a variety of reasons.

I have an ancient model MacBook (pre-unibody White, Model 2,1), there is no pinch to zoom. Even then, it has happened a few times without switching tabs or really doing anything. That's pretty rare though.

6. malman89 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bumparoo for any hopeful ideas. Don't really have the time to take my laptop in to the Apple Store until the weekend (however useless that may be), so wondering if anyone out there has any other thoughts.

Is there anything I can do to test if anything is faulty?

7. malman89 thread starter macrumors 68000

For the first time this repeating sound distortion happened to music I was playing in iTunes. Great, it's spreading. It only used to be browser video picture/sound, now iTunes music?

Unfortunate new development.