web colors: mac v mac v PC

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thejadedmonkey, Nov 21, 2007.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I made a nice looking website. Short, sweet, to the point. (mahalaw.com)

The background, on my MBP with brightness turned up, is how I want it to look.
    The background on my mac mini is much more dull and gray looking. (CRT, VGA)
    The background on a PC is that same dull gray look. (LCD, VGA)

What's going on here, and how do I fix it? I really like how I see it on my MBP, not how others see it on their other computers...

2. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Macs have a very high gamma out of the box. Personally and professionally, I use a monitor calibrator so my displays look a lot closer to the windows default gamma. It's impossible to get accurate colors across computers because every OS/display is going to be a little different.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea colors are going to be impossible for the reason mentioned above. I have this same issue with my site.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, about all you can do is get a calibration tool to get your display looking as close to some sort of basic reference model as possible. Macs have higher gamma than Windows (so blacks are less crunched, which I prefer), glossy screens are more contrast-y than non-glossy... There's no good overall solution. It's gonna look a bit different everywhere.

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Anyone with bootcamp knows colours look different when switching between the two OSs. It's just something you have to live with really.

6. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Also

use the standard webcolors in your wed page design software and not custom colors...goes a long way to help even colors out between Macs and PCs

7. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Not really.

8. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Hmmm... thanks. I guess I'll just have to work on getting the colors how I like it with bootcamp. Thanks all for your help!

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If you use Fireworks to generate graphics it has a Windows gamma simulation mode. I would keep in mind that your screen at full brightness is probably way too bright to be considered average, even in bootcamp.