Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Hi,

Running an iBook G4 right now. Noticing that online movies (Youtube, etc.) are pretty much unplayable. It feels like it's skipping frames of video, and the audio is choppy.

At first I thought it was the internet connection since it's a stream, but I paused the video so the entire thing could download, then hit play. No change.

My HDD is about 60GB (around 57 after formatting) with around 27.5GB still free. I have the maximum amount of RAM in the system, 1.5GB. Ran Disk Utility and repaired any appropriate permissions. Went so far as to downloading Onyx to optimize the OS, turned off all widgets in Dashboard, only essential services running according to Activity Monitor. I made sure my iBook is getting power (plugged in) because I know the CPU will throttle if it's on battery. No change.

For the record, I also reinstalled the OS due to some other unrelated issues about a month or two ago, and the problems existed both before and after the reinstall.

So, is there some type of change in web content over the last couple years? I remember being able to watch videos on my iBook at some point in the past, it wasn't always like this.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
MRoogle would have told you, that the problem is FLASH, the www plugin from Adobe.

Either use the HTML 5 beta for YouTube or use ClickToFlash to view YouTube videos in H264 embedded in a QuickTime Player.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's due to the poor performance of Adobe Flash.

You can get browser plugin to download / view YouTube video as mp4.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Interesting, thanks for the info. For some reason, the proxy server at work doesn't like MRoogle. :(

I will try the HTML5 beta since it seems that's the direction Apple is headed with Web Content in an effort to finally kill flash!

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Alright, I installed ClickToFlash, that seems to help when I'm not watching movies, but when I go to YouTube or any other website that I intended to watch movies with I still get the lag. I tried the HTML5 beta, then tried the H.264 codec. If I had to put a frames-per-second on it, I would say it's around 0.25 to 0.5 fps. So, video is unplayable.

Still not sure what the deal is - is it an issue with the computer such as faulty hardware, or just the nature of the content (bitrate of the movie(s) are exceeding the capabilities of the computer to play it)

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Streaming video content is still unplayable using the H.264 codec too. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.