Web creation packages

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RobinFitzs, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RobinFitzs macrumors newbie

I have recently read the thread from 2003 regarding web authoring packages. Please can you advise me if Dreamweaver and Golive are still the best web authoring packages around or wether others are now better.

I have only recently come in from the dark side of PC users and into the light of the Mac with the purchase of a MacBook. So it is all new to mr again!

I had previously created my site with Frontpage (and contrary to popular belief) was very happy with it but now with a computer upgrade to a mac just around the corner I need to think of my website.

Many thanks

Robin

2. macgruder macrumors 6502

Textmate (or Coda or BBEdit) plus CSSEdit

IMO, you need a good CSS editor plus a good Text Editor. CSSEdit is brilliant, and since all the other things like a server, SVN etc are built into OS X (or you can get via Macports) , I don't see much need for Dreamweaver.

3. RobinFitzs thread starter macrumors newbie

Not being all that up to speed on things, What benefit is a text editor? It seems that CSSedit is a complete package. How does a text editor combine with the package or can you point me to a good website that will clarify this for me.

thanks

4. macgruder macrumors 6502

Well, you're going to be doing a lot of typing! Not just CSS. A good text editor will allow you to search, type in HTML, php, etc.