Web design advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenglade07, Jul 13, 2014.

1. kenglade07 macrumors member

I’m trying to build a site using Webbuilder v 7 and I’m having a problem with text. If I create text in Word for Mac 2011 and then try to copy that in my WB page, the formatting options are nil. I have used code before when i created a pix site a few years back but I’d just as soon not go through that again. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding a way to load formatted text into WB?

2. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

not up to speed on wysiwyg apps like this but...a real quick way to lose any formatting for text files I know of is to save it in a traditional unix/bsd format and have it then read on something that speaks "windows" text format.

There are better terms for this text formatting that a bad Monday at work is having me forget but when I save to .txt I know to make it more universal I save in an encoding windows can read. Otherwise a say windows system will get a rather ugly text file with most encoding ignored.

Your app is not looking like a mac only app so internally it may not be reading unix/bsd txt encoding (carriage return coding can vary between .txt standards for example).

Beyond that I am not sure if wysiwyg's are keen to raw imports and prefer you write in their editor. I do know I have used a few markdown (.md) editors where if I factor in repair time to the mess a copy/pastes makes...I am usually better off rewriting from scratch in the .md editor. At this point...any .md work I do (readme for my github stuff a common use) I now do from scratch in a .md editor to avoid this headache.

3. kenglade07 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. The more i dig into this, the more I see that Godaddy’s Webuilder 7 is virtually useless as far as text is concerned. The only way to get text into the page is to type it in, and the formatting tolos are very basic and insufficient. I’m looking for something else but i’m not ready to spend hundreds of dollars. If that’s the case, I’d just as soon pay someone to do it. Needless to say, I’m very disappointed in the program but -- as with much of today’s technological =advances= what the hell can you do about it.