Web design HTML app for Mac (like Frontpage)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crisito, Dec 26, 2009.

1. crisito macrumors regular

I'm looking for a webpage design app for the Mac, like MS Frontpage where you can create a webpage and then see the HMTL source.

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Funny you should ask. I just got a copy of RapidWeaver, a web site designer marketed to those of us who want both WYSIWYG design and the ability to insert raw HTML (or just look at the source code). RapidWeaver isn't free, though. If you want to try a free alternative, I recommend KompoZer or Aptana Studio.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The best one out there is Adobe Dreamweaver. You can download a trial from Adobe's Website.

TEG

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use RapidWeaver,
    More powerful, flexible and extensible then iWeb, but nearly as easy to use.

If you head over to realmacsoftware.com you'll see a very lively and helpful forum for the product as well. They offer tons of plugins and themes to customize the website to your needs. Plus RapidWeaver produces very clean code that is SEO friendly (something that iWeb doesn't).

Since they offer a trial, I highly recommend trying them out. Its a great application.

5. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Nvu hasn't been updated since 2005. Kompozer is the unofficial bug-fix version of Nvu, but there is no official bug-fix for Nvu.

I have yet to find a free html editor that I can say I really like. All come close, but each is missing something or is a little too funky to use.

6. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

I have downloaded RapidWeaver but I can't seem to start from a blank page, I have to choose one of their themes..?

7. robj macrumors regular

Oh I didn't know the project is dead.

I try it long time ago but I never use it regularly.

Indeed, I think that WYSIWYG HTML editors aren't the best choice to develop web pages, the code that they produce is very messy and it's a shame to edit it later.

In my work, I use eclipse (with or without aptana) or netbeans, but you'd best have learned HTML, CSS and Javascript :)