Web Design Prices

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jdl8422, Jun 25, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have been asked to do some websites for some clients. They are just some simple HTML pages, no flash or anything. The only problem is I am not sure how much to charge. Each site consit of 4-5 pages. Any resources out there or any opinons on what to charge?

2. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I charge £295 + VAT for that including 1 year hosting and domain name.

I have done research and consider that to be a fair price.

3. angelneo macrumors 68000

A simple rule of thumb is to consider how much time (man hours) you are going to put in. Use that as a guideline, although you might misjudged the time needed on your first few projects, but you will get a feel of it soon. You may want to factor in administrative costs as well. (meeting clients, on site set up, warranty support so on)

4. jdl8422 thread starter macrumors 6502

jdl8422

Thanks for the responses. Also I was curious how the design part works. I am under the impression that my job is to design a site and give it to them. They are responsible for updating it. Is that correct. Also, is it wrong to design it and give it to them and say "here you update it when it needs it", with them not having web design experience, or even knowledge of it. The reason I ask is I am not designing for a company who has a webmaster. Also what is VAT. Thanks

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

VAT = fancy european word for taxes!

If you are simply designing a site and handing it over, you are paid for the design and tweaks until they are happy.

If you are doing that AND continually updating the site, month to month, day to day or year to year, either contract with them a retainer or charge them for every update.

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Glad you asked that. I'm still learning web technologies but I've had a few people ask if I'd make them a site. It's all new to me too!

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

There are ways you can make it into a simple cms with a little php knowlage, always works great for me. Heres the site, this is how you edit the content, anything major, heres my price list

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'm not sure what a fair price for a website is - I just charge hourly and work project by project.

But regarding updates: you definitely do not want to make any assumptions. Be sure that the client realizes that this first cost is simply for the design and creation of the website, NOT any and all future updates. When I took on a website for my landlord, I made the mistake of not doing this and ended up taking on a LOT more work than I'd initially charged them for or factored into my schedule.

Some things you have to learn as you go, I guess!

9. Cyberthato macrumors member

no links =(