Web Designer/Front-End Developer looking to buy a MacBook Pro :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sambammi, Dec 22, 2011.

1. sambammi macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I'm a student due to graduate in 2012. I'm currently using an old PC and I also use the iMacs at Uni but would like to buy something more portable for when I graduate as I'd like to eventually do some freelancing.

I've been looking at purchasing a MacBook Pro, the cheapest one is preferable being a student with not much money. :p I mainly use my computer to browse the internet, check emails and make websites. To make websites I use code editors, FTP software and Photoshop, usually all running at the same time.

I don't play games or do anything more intensive than using Photoshop really so would the £999 MacBook Pro be suitable for this?

Thanks in advance!

2. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

You should be fine with either entry level 13 or 15 inch model. I do a good amount of webdesign as well. I upgraded my RAM to 8GB just so Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver have some extra space while running together along with multiple browsers open.

3. sambammi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. :) I forgot to mention I'm looking at 13" ones as I've got a display to plug it into.

I'm assuming it's cheaper to put the RAM in yourself rather than upgrading with Apple?

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

A lot cheaper. It is ridiculously easy to do it too, so don't get it from Apple.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Much cheaper. It's about £37 for 8GB from Crucial last time I bought, maybe even less now.

I do the same front-end stuff you've mentioned and coupled with an external monitor, the 13" is a great machine, you won't be disappointed.

6. sambammi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm capable of upgrading simple bits of hardware anyway so I will probably do that. :D

Also, Apple Care, is it worth it? Could I possibly wait until just before my year warranty runs out before purchasing it?

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If you're still a student, and you buy it through your University's network on the Apple Online Store, you automatically receive 3 years hardware warranty coverage.

You are generally enrolled on the warranty program approximately 9 weeks after purchase of your machine.

There's no real need to buy AppleCare as a student in the UK (if you're buying online), unless you want or require 3 years of phone support.

NB: The brick and mortar Apple Stores do not offer this warranty -- It is only available online.

8. sambammi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that! I knew I'd get a discount, didn't know I'd get coverage too. Do you use Apple's cables to plug in your display? I've seen some on eBay for a fiver but not sure how good they are.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I use Apple's mini displayport to DVI, then a standard DVI - DVI cable. Works fine for me.

eBay ones generally look the part, but in my experience, they don't tend to last the course.

10. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Upgraded my RAM from Crucial and saved $$$$. It's super easy to do and well worth it! Just make sure to keep the RAM shipped with your machine handy in the event you need to take/send the MBP to Apple for repair or anything.

11. sambammi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. If there's anything else you think a Mac newbie should know please let me know. It's a lot of money for me to part with but hopefully I'm making the right decision. ^_^