Web Dev 13 or 15 rMBP refurbished

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by curtoise, Jul 30, 2014.

1. curtoise macrumors 6502a

Hi folks I'm in need of some advice, I'm in New York city visiting my family this week and I'll go to the fight ave store tomorrow to get a new rMBP.

My main computer now is a Early 2011 MBP with 16GB RAM and a 256 Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

My main job is web development and I use Coda 2 and similar software for creating and editing code constantly.

In my office at home I have this 2011 MBP hooked to a 27 thunderbolt but I do travel a lot and I have a MBA 2011 11' for forum support and basic e-mail, etc but every time that I need to do coding on the 11' for more than a couple of hours my eyes start bleeding and my fingers will get tired of scrolling to see all part of the screen on the tiny display.

I've never used retina on a laptop before but the screen looks gorgeous.

Due to my thunderbolt display at home I was thinking on the 8GB/256SSD refurbished and use that in the same way that I'm using my 13'' 2011 now but my question is how fast and powerful will be this machine compared to my 2011 16GB 256 SSD MBP?

I'm also contemplating the 15' base (iris) for about $300 more and I'll get quad-core but if I'll be hooking that beast to my (non retina) thunderbolt, I'm not sure if I need the 15' display unless I use that as a secondary screen and benefit from the quad core in stead of the dual core from the 13.

Also all the rMBP were refreshed this past week, anybody can guess if we will get a brand new design or update again this year or it is safer to buy now? I do not care if in 5-6 months they are updated but it will be a little annoying to get anew update in September and I'll be out of the return window.

I'll appreciate if somebody can share some opinions about my questions, maybe some forum member was in my same situation before?

Thanks!

2. fchyan macrumors newbie

I am in similar situation, and I just found out there is a Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display available on Apple Online Store for $1489.

Personally, I would want a 15 inch rMBP for development. I am considering this one because:
    1. It has core i7 quad-core just in case I need to run Ubuntu/Win VM.
    2. More screen estate, easier on eyes if I want to read full size docs. Also, coding on split screen. Just better productivity in general.
    3. The SSD on the new 13" MBP is made by Sandisk not Samsung unlike the 15", so even though it's PCIe it's not as good as the new 15" rMBP. So early 2013 rMBP should just be as good.
    4. It has the GT650M dedicated graphics that's better than Iris pro in the current 15" base model.
    5. It's $10 cheaper than the current 2014 256GB 13"!
    6. The new Broadwell line is not expected until mid-2015.

[1] http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-24ghz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-retina-Display
    [2] http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/29/mid-2014-retina-macbook-pro-ssd-test/

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not sure if I am much help as I have been moving back and forth between getting the 13 or 15"

I will say I like having the same size screen all the time. In a past life, I did do the monitor thing but drove me nuts getting used to two different screens. With that said, I would lean towards the larger screen.

I have been using only the 13" on my 2009 MBP for a long time with heavy all day usage and doing okay - just want a bit more real estate.

4. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I saw that one too but it is and older one from February 2013 with one less hour of battery, thicker and heavier(?)

I do not game on PC so I'm not sure if the dedicated graphis are a must, my issue is if I Have the thunderbolt dispaly and I'll be hooking this laptop to the display it is worth it to get 15 or 13? I'll carry the laptop around hte house when Im out of the office and go to the patio or couch to work from there too and maybe 2 to 3 times a year I go on trips where I need to have it with me .

This is what it m looking now in the return store:

13: http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-24ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

15: http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-20ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display