Web Development Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sdilley14, Jun 12, 2019.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

1. Has anybody here gone through an educational "bootcamp"? If so, could you give your personal opinion on it? Was it worthwhile?

2. Would a 24 month Web Development bootcamp 'completion certification' be enough to get my foot in the door with a company for a web development position?

I've been considering giving this local bootcamp a try...

https://bootcamp.ce.arizona.edu/coding/

The cost is about $10k for the 24-week part time course. Not an insurmountable cost, but not something to scoff at either.

I'm 34 years old, not married, no kids. I work full-time in an unrelated career (finance) and I'm starting to get the itch to try something different. I work in a job that is becoming increasingly automated and I would not be shocked if my position is almost entirely eliminated in the future.

I've always had an interest and curiosity in web design/development. Committing to a full-on career change at this stage in my life will be challenging as I have a house, a rental house (selling in 5 months), car payment, and all other household expenses to pay for. I have a monthly nut that I'm able to support on about $70k/yr salary. I'm not sure I would be able to keep working full time while also going to a 2 or 4 year college to get a degree, so I thought that the bootcamp idea might be a way to fast-track into this career field. I realize it will take a lot of hard work and commitment for the duration of the bootcamp (6 months) and well beyond if I want to excel in this line of work.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts and opinions. Is the bootcamp idea worthwhile? Would you take a different course of action? Keep in mind I'm very much a "monkey see monkey do" type of learner - I'm not great at reading online tutorials and teaching myself things, but I'm good in a classroom type setting with assistance and people that can literally 'show me' what needs to be done.