Web Development/Graphics on riMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nREMfan, Mar 23, 2015.

1. nREMfan macrumors member

Any designers use the retina iMac for web graphics? My concern would be images 900 pixels, or less, and this type of screen being "usable" for Photoshop. In other words, would the retina screen make things "too small" for editing/design?

Thanks.

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

No. And, you can change the resolution if you prefer.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I don't know exactly what you mean by this. Viewing an image 1:1 in a retina-aware app like Photoshop will make it half as large, but of course you can always zoom in to 200%. The UI and everything else will be the same size you're used to on a non-retina display, but 4 times as crisp.

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

Web Development/Graphics on riMac

New websites should be designed and developed for HiDPI screens anyway, and the retina screens of the MBPs and iMac hugely help with this.

A 900px image should be designed and saved at 1800px, then scaled down using CSS or a more complex adaptive image solution. This ensures HiDPI screens show super crisp images, and regular screens work as normal.

I miss my 5K for this very reason. It was really handy.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I agree with this, images on websites nowadays should be optimized for Retina. There are various methods for serving twice as large images for high pixel density displays, and having such a display does help with that.