Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey all,

I've just started some web development in visual studio using asp.net :(, in university. Although I am not going to take web development much further than a general hobby just now, I would like to do it on the mac instead of a PC.

What I was wondering is what people think is easier to develop web apps with, asp.net or using iWeb or a text edit html application, or is there any other application like visual studio for the mac?

I've finished with asp.net just now so would like to start with iWeb but just want to hear people opinion in which way is better.

Thanks,

Stephen

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If you're coming from .Net, you'll be disappointed with iWeb. There's some IDE type web development environments. Dreamweaver (somewhat), Aptana, and Komodo Edit. I personally just use a text editor, BBEdit. There's also TextMate, TextWrangler (free version of BBEdit), Smultron, Coda, RadpidWeaver, etc. See the stickies for more ideas.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
If you specifically want to develop ASP.NET applications, you would be crazy to not use Visual Studio, because that's exactly what you'll be using if you make it a career. I write code in Visual Studio using VMWare Fusion on my Mac. That also allows me to run SQL Server and Oracle.

Alternatively, if you're simply interested in web development and aren't really attached to any particular platform, I'd suggest giving Ruby on Rails a whirl. It's included with your Mac, it's easy to get running, and the best programming book ever written (IMHO) is "Agile Web Development for Ruby on Rails". The excellent and free NetBeans IDE includes a good Ruby on Rails plugin, but TextMate is the de-facto standard for Mac.

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
@OP:

As to asp.net for Mac, specifically:

http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/archive/2009/05/06/MonoDevelopMac.aspx

Follow the links on that page - download the Mono 2.4 Mac Installer and MonoDevelop 2.0 Mac Installer and develop ASP.NET MVC Web Applications on your Mac. FYI.

-jim

Thanks downloaded mono and its basically visual studio on the mac brilliant :)

adrian.oconnor said:
If you specifically want to develop ASP.NET applications, you would be crazy to not use Visual Studio, because that's exactly what you'll be using if you make it a career. I write code in Visual Studio using VMWare Fusion on my Mac. That also allows me to run SQL Server and Oracle.

Alternatively, if you're simply interested in web development and aren't really attached to any particular platform, I'd suggest giving Ruby on Rails a whirl. It's included with your Mac, it's easy to get running, and the best programming book ever written (IMHO) is "Agile Web Development for Ruby on Rails". The excellent and free NetBeans IDE includes a good Ruby on Rails plugin, but TextMate is the de-facto standard for Mac.

Might look into that because I do have to admit that Visual Studio 10 is quite good, its a lot faster than past editions. And I it has all the features because I have noticed that some features have been lost in mono, like the security, which I find a brilliant part of vs.

I will also have a look at ruby on rails, I had heard about it previously but never actually but never thought of learning it, thanks.

Thanks people so far,

Stephen

alexk82

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
East Coast
best tools for the job

I agree with adrian. You have to use the best tools for the job, its better than trying to fumble your way around.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Eclipse is a great cross platform editor, i use it and dreamweaver for development on my mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.