Web Domain Register Help!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jmaquarry, Jun 15, 2010.

1. jmaquarry macrumors member

Hi

I have currently set up a small University run company and want a simple and easy website domain for my company.

I am currently going to sign up at godaddy.com and transfer the hosting to 000wehosts (free)....

However next year after it expires i was hoping to get a professional company to design my website under the same domain... and so i was wondering whether registering through a site such as goDaddy would cause hinderence next year (ie. does the domain get parked by godaddy when it expires? meaning i will need to get a different named domain?) or will it be fine?

Thanks!

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

You simply renew the domain when it's about to expire. I think GoDaddy usually defaults to autorenewing domains anyway (so they get the revenue). You can set this preference in your GoDaddy account settings.

You can point your chosen domain at any hosting company you choose, and change this as you wish (i.e. not just at domain renewal time).

Depending on the TLD (i.e. whether it's a .com, .co.uk, etc etc) you can pay for several years up front too. Check which option gives you the best deal as GoDaddy seem to offer a bewildering array of options sometimes.