Web email not working at home

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soundhound, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I access my work email at home through the web, and oddly it's stopped working. The page won't load in Safari.

I restarted my airport extreme, that didn't help. Also tried 'updating' the airport extreme (just changed one letter in the name of the airport in the airport utility, which allows you to hit 'update') but that didn't help either.

I can still access the web mail through 3g on my iphone, and it works on my iphone through wifi at work. At home I can't seem to access through WiFi. On my ipad, iphone, imac or macbook pro.

Anyone have any idea what this might be about?

2. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just got even weirder. I noticed that I also can't bring up the company's regular website. The consumer website, where people buy their products etc, in addition to the site for webmail for employees. Both of those don't work over WiFi at my house.

I tried resetting safari in preferences, cleaning everything out, but that didn't help. I tried using google chrome, that didn't work either. What could this be??

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

One of two possibilities occurs to me based on your experience. First, the DNS on your router, for whatever reason, stopped being able to lookup your workplace's email and web servers. Think of DNS like a phonebook for the Internet. if the phonebook is bad or missing pages, you can't "call" the website/server. You can try substituting Google DNS or OpenDNS in place of the default one(s) issued by your ISP and trying to reproduce the issue. Second, your workplace may have implemented restrictions that only permit accessing the email over cellular or the internal Wi-Fi network. If this is the case, you'll need to speak to IT to see if they can relay to you the incoming and outgoing server settings to use even outside the firewall/network, if such settings exist.

4. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I'll ask IT about that. I'm also unable to go to their regular website, the one for customers etc, over my home wifi, which seems strange. If they blocked access to web mail over wifi as you mention, could that explain not being able to get on the regular site as well?