Web filter for a network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FongMan, May 13, 2011.

1. FongMan macrumors regular

FongMan

Hi guys,

I need help with something. I am setting up a house with 5 Macs (1 Mac Pro and 4 laptops) and a couple PCs. Lots of kids, so we want a web filter, however I travel a lot and would want to be able to remotely manage the filter from wherever I am. So my thoughts are to have all internet traffic go through the Mac Pro and from there to the client computers, that way I wouldn't need to get a program for each and every computer but only the Mac Pro. And if I need to remotely manage the filter I would only need to access the Mac Pro instead of individual computers.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds like you can do what you want to do through your router. No need to send all the traffic through your Mac Pro.

3. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

Yes, exactly I want to put the filter to the network and as opposed to individual computers. I was thinking of using the Mac Pro but if I can do something to the router that would be fantastic. My setup is Modem => Time Capsule => Airport Extreme and Expresses. They are all connected via ethernet.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why so many router-capable devices? :eek: You know any one of those, with the modem, would be sufficient, right?

5. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

Big house, want wireless coverage everywhere.

6. donalmacc macrumors newbie

You can't use the airport devices to filter unfortunately. Would you consider using opendns? you can block categories of websites using opendns, not leaving you to discover the sites before you block them. If you put LogMeIn on the MacPro, you could access your computer from anywhere in the world, and change the settings from wherever you are.

7. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

Opendns is free as well I believe, great suggestion. That would work great, but how do I setup the Mac Pro to have all content go through it?

8. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

Thoughts anybody? How can I setup my Mac Pro so that it filters all internet content?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What are you even talking about? Since you're asking the question, you can't. Turning a Mac Pro into a traffic shaper is a waste of time and money. Use OpenDNS and set it up so your gateway router always points to it; then manage your content restriction from the web interface.

10. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

Yeh sorry, I only heard about OpenDNS, but now I am realizing it's kind of like a cloud right? So how does it work, I put in proxy settings provided by OpenDNS and they do all the filtering? How does that work when it comes to managing acceptable or sites that I want to block?

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then watch an OpenDNS instructional video to see how to do that.

12. FongMan thread starter macrumors regular

FongMan

Cheers, thanks a lot man. I'll give it a shot :)