Web Graphic Apps

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fingers, Oct 31, 2007.

1. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

I have mainly used Fireworks and Photoshop to create web graphics in the past. Since upgrading to Leopard, my version of Photoshop will not work. So, what would you recommend I do?

Upgrade to the latest version of PS or try something different?

I am quite used to PS, but maybe there are better apps for creating web graphics?

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

If you are familiar with Photoshop, then I would just recommend upgrading if you can.

:)

3. fingers thread starter macrumors regular

fingers

Yes, I am familiar with Photoshop, but a bit frightened of the upgrade cost. A friend of mine recommended Pixelmator, which if it had a "Save for web" feature like Ps, would be ideal. I am tempted to set up some sort of workflow solution with Pixelmator and Graphic Converter...

I have downloaded the Ps and Pixelmator demos, anybody know an app that can throw out anorexic web graphics? I am pretty sure Fireworks was better than Ps (ImageReady) when it comes to the actual file size. What is the best?

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Saving as PNG, JPG, or GIF is difficult? You don't need a save for web option, you simply select a web safe format.

5. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I use both, but prefer Fireworks for 99% of my Web graphics work.

6. fingers thread starter macrumors regular

fingers

Yes, saving a copy of a file as a .jpg etc is easy. But, exporting the graphic to fit a certain dimension and with a small file size is crucial for me.

7. fingers thread starter macrumors regular

fingers

I haven't used Fireworks for a while, do you think it exports smaller file sizes than Photoshop? I am pretty sure that was the case when I used to use it.

8. fingers thread starter macrumors regular

fingers

I have just downloaded the trial versions for Ps and Fw.

Interestingly (or at least to me!) when saving the same image using Ps and Fw, at 60% quality in .jpg the file sizes and image quality is quite different.

Ps - 76kb

Fw - 45kb
    (Click to view the images if you like)