Web hosting advice please

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tinyterrapin, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tinyterrapin macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I've been trawling the internet looking for cheap hosting solutions and I'm getting rather confused. I currently have an account with 1&1 and I own about 6 domains with them too.

The only reason I want to change is because the price has gone up and I can't really afford £70/year. I also want to start working with Joomla and have read I need a hosting package that allows mysql.

I would be really grateful for any advice on any deals going that you've found.

Plus can I keep my domains with 1&1 or do I have to transfer them? If I transfer, will I risk the yearly price being increased?

Questions questions I know ! I could really do with some help!

Many thanks in advance,
    tinyt

2. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

GoDaddy seem to be pretty reasonable. I think you can keep your domains with 1 & 1 but use someone else's hosting.

3. Col127 macrumors 6502

hey there. yes you can keep ur domains with 1&1 and use different hosting. i found 1&1's prices to be pretty reasonable. about $3.99 a month for the most basic package.

the host i'm with right now is really great, they're called hostgator.com. they offer a ton of features! the cheapest is $4.95, but you get a lot of stuff.

4. quantumdrift macrumors newbie

HostGator

I just want to second the HostGator suggestion. I was with Yahoo for a while but finally grew tired of their horrible support. I have never hosted a site on GoDaddy, but I know a few people who work in the customer service dept. and they are pretty knowledgeable.

I have been with HostGator for a little over a year now and have had nothing but good experience with them. I started on their basic shared hosting plan and am now on a reseller package as I offer hosting to my clients as part of the package. The few times that I have had to deal with tech support they have always been prompt and helpful. I highly recommend them.

5. theappleguy macrumors 6502

For your own sake, seriously, avoid cheap hosting. GoDaddy has a pretty average rep for hosting (though very good for domains). Make sure you do a search here and WebHostingTalk before making a final decision, and also email their support department to test their response time.

6. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Check out Freezone.co.uk (fantastic client support). All included cheap pro solutions, the best is icascot.com - I can also recommend mediatemple.net

7. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

eboundhost is really good. been with them for a year or two now, not 1 problem that support couldn't handle within 5h (on the other side of the world)

8. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I would just like to point out that 1and1 DOES have mysql (I'm running a Drupal installation right now).

Also, keep in mind that some of those domains that you have are probably free with your hosting package - as soon as you cancel your hosting, you will have to start paying yearly for the 1 to 3 domains that were previously free.

9. MojoWill macrumors 6502

not sure if this is allowed in these forums so sorry if this post needs to edited or removed.

But i host websites both in UK and US, you can even pre-install Joomla from the CP. all packages come with a free domain name, get more details at my site
    www.mojointernet.com

again sorry if i have breached any rules..

PS Godaddy are rubbish for hosting, 1 and 1 are ok and general include MySQL on most packages

10. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Figured you'd say that. :p

Seeing as you're a 1and1 reseller. *wink*

11. TonicAngel macrumors regular

I have been using dreamhost for 3 years now and I love them! They have very reasonable pricing as well. Good luck!

12. MojoWill macrumors 6502

there are plenty of great hosts godaddy is great for domains but there hosting is not great,

just seen the hidden text and im not a 1ana1 reseller i simply have a dedicated with them which i use fir my own sites.

13. xnetco macrumors newbie

Web Hosting

Give these guys a call, Global Gold. They might be a little more expensive but their reliability and customer service is excellent.

http://www.globalgold.co.uk/

14. Frozonecold macrumors 6502

Bah once you try A Small Orange you never go back. They have really cheap plans, AMAZING support (5 minute reply/fix), and they don't oversell.

15. sambapati87 macrumors member

I second that. Dreamhost FTW.

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

As an industry vet, I recommend you steer far clear of 1&1 and Godaddy. They're both lousy "commercial" hosts with terrible support.

It will cost more than your average company, but my nod goes to Medialayer.com

17. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Asmallorange.com, great host that gives you realistic bandwidth and really great support. Had an issue today and had replies coming back every 10-15 minutes and I'm in Australia :eek:

18. iwebtemplate macrumors newbie

19. mrrory macrumors regular

mrrory

Couldn't agree more, a small orange are absolutely fantastic!

20. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I don't have too much experience with websites at all, really. But I decided to take the plunge and create my own website.

1st I bought a .mac account, used iweb, and made a real nice little webpage based on templates.

2nd I bought a domain name at godaddy.com
    It was really simple, and the next day they even gave me a surprise call to ask how everything was going and to see if I had any questions (and to try and sell me something, hah, but mainly to see that I was doing well.)

3rd I connected the two and I'm loving it.
    It was a bit confusing at first, but nothing google couldn't help me with.

Feel free to check it out!
    www.mikeandhiscamera.com

21. 2000ContourSVT macrumors member

The GoDaddy hosting that we use for our weekly Podcasts is pretty good. With the basic plan we get 10Gbs Disk Space, and 300Gbs of Bandwith. I think it was $4.08 a month if you purchase a whole year worth of hosting. That price is not including the domain, but you already have a domain so thats ok. You should be able to link your 1&1 domain with GoDaddy's hosting without the price changing. Also I believe Joomla is a free application with GoDaddy's hosting but I personally don't know anything about it.

22. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Ditto. Granted, I have a reseller plan, and I've heard their support is much better for those customers. But I've been with them a couple years now and am quite happy.

23. 66217 Guest

Anyone here know how CrystalTech works? They seem to have reasonable prices, tho I don't know if support is good, or if what you get is OK for what you pay.

24. tinyterrapin thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks

Thanks for all the advice and hosting options, you've been great.

I ended up going with Dreamhost as they had a special deal on where there packages were half price. I've now got a 2 yr deal with them with a HUGE amount of webspace.

I now just need to cancel my current deal and work out whether I should transfer my domains of keep them with 1and1 !

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether it matters if you have your domains hosted with a different company?

Thanks again in advance,

tiny

25. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Probably the best ColdFusion shared host in the biz, but their CF plans are expensive. They don't have multiple-domain plans, which kills me for my little sites that don't use squat for resources, but need CF.