web hosting and domain name question

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by furcalchick, May 1, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm thinking about hosting a couple of iweb sites over at 110mb.com, as it's supposedly the best free hosting out there. the max space problem isn't too much for me as one of my sites won't need much in space at all since it's a web portal, although the second may use some later. i'm asking people that have hosted on the site about the quality of the service and if i should use them. also, i'm getting the domain names purchased from domainname.com for about 10 bucks a year, and i heard about problems with some web hosters of not allowing you to keep a domian name. please tell me how this works as i want to get at least one of the sites up this week. thank you.

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I whould go with godaddy for the hosting and the domain. :) :) :)

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

110mb is really good! they do support domain names too.

4. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

110mb.com

that looks interesting.
    no ad's seems pretty nice, and after all
    what do you have to lose?
    it's free. i'd give it a try.

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm not going with them...it has to be free hosting, and the domain has to be able to transfer through different domains in case i change my mind later.

6. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

registration is closed right now...i wonder if they open it up just during the late hours to keep the riff raff out.

7. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

looks like 110 mb is closed right now. does anyone trust awardspace.com? i may just use my isp's web space at least for now...i don't really have much money for web hosting at the moment, but i may go to a small orange when i do, since i heard alot of good things about it.

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

sorry for the stupid questions, but i think i finally figured out what i'm going to do. i think i will host with the free account on awardspace.com, but their domain names cost 20 bucks a year. so i may go with domainname.com for their domain since it's 15 bucks for two years, but i'm wondering if i'll occur some fees from awardspace.com for transfer of domain names, and how exactly how it is done. help me out here please.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

different...domains?

godaddy gives you full control over your domain names no matter what you do, and they're reasonably priced as well. customer service is excellent as well.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i use freewebtown.com. you can check my blog to see what it looks like. so far i'm pleased, even though i haven't updated it too much lately, but i will.

11. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

For the money, I've never found any other hosting company that gives you as much space as Globat.com. $6.95 a month for 1000 GB of space and 1000 GB of data transfer! I'm using now and I've never had a problem with them.

12. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I went with awardspace for my personal site and they were pretty good (until i fiddles with php and my site assploded). not as good as 110mb though

13. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Another Vote for godaddy.

There reasonably priced and customer service is great.

Your hosting and Domain names are treated separate. So you could switch hosts if you wanted.