Web/internet text/font query?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snerkler, Feb 29, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

As some may know I'm new to Mac, and just got a MBP. When I'm browsing the internet on google, or viewing emails on gmail etc the font is different to what I'm used to, and to be honest I think I prefer how it looks on my PC. Is there a way I can change the font? I've tried changing font in the preferences (Standard, Serif, sans serif etc) but changing these does not seem to do anything (what are these different settings by the way?). I initially thought it was the host site that had a fixed font, but then thought it can't be if it looks different on 2 different computers/OS's.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

2. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is indeed the issue, that graphic displays the differences brilliantly on the PC I'm using at the moment, don't know if it's demonstrated as well on a Mac. I guess it's just something I have to get used to then if it's an inbuilt feature of Mac. Maybe over time when I'm using the Mac more I'll prefer it to windows, who knows :confused:

Out of interest what are the serif, and sans serif fonts and what do they relate to?

3. simsaladimbamba

Sans Serif font:
    [​IMG]
    Serif font:
    [​IMG]
    What is Serif

Can this help?

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, thanks I now understand the difference between the seriff and sans seriff. I guess where these are used will depend how how the page was originally set up.
    I hope I get use to the font on Macs as I don't find it as easy to read. I thought it was more blurry, but thought it must just be in my head until I read that thread you posted.

5. simsaladimbamba

If you primarily use Mac OS X, you will get used to it. I for instance can't stand the hard edges in Windows' font rendering anymore, but I also disliked it before I switched, and was glad that Mac OS X had smoother fonts, though I didn't know why back then.

6. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I should just PM you in future as you seem to be able to answer all my questions lol. Thanks a lot.

7. simsaladimbamba

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, okay.

But better make a thread. Or use the advanced search feature I may have already pointed out to you.

8. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was only kidding, I wouldn't do that to you ;)

9. simsaladimbamba

No, you was not. And yes, you would. I have seen your file. And it is, let's just say, insightful and frightening. I can't understand, ahh, the two cats have returned. They are chewing the chimney while the tiled stove is being dismantled by some weary looking types. Now I understand. Everything. At least when it comes to senseless sentences sans sensibility sewing sorrow souls so she shall ****.

10. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

:eek:

11. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I've just been into a store that had a few MBP's and I tried them out and found them much better. I'm now thinking my issue is not just the way Apple processes font, but also my high res screen. I'm having to change safari/chrome preferences to make the minimum font 14 to be big enough to read and think this is exaggerating the appearance of the text. I'll see if I can get used to it over the next few days, if not I'll return the MBP for one with the standard screen. This will be a shame for photos and movies, but I'm on the net/emailing a lot and want that experience to be as good as it can be.

12. simsaladimbamba

It took me around two weeks to get accustomed to the High Res screen of the 17" MBP, but it was worth it, though I don't mail a lot. In Safari I can always enlarge the text via a three finger tap (BetterTouchTool programmed gesture). As I use applications with lots of palettes/windows, the HR screen is useful for me, and I upgraded from a 12" iBook with 1024 x 768 pixel to a 13" MacBook with 1280 x 800 pixel to a 15" MBP with 1440 x 900 pixel, and I can tell, that for my purposes 1920 x 1200 pixel is the perfect resolution for my mobile needs.
    My 20" iMac has 1680 x 1050 pixel and is it an okay resolution, though sometimes I wish it were 1920 x 1200 pixel.

13. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

LIke I say, I'll give it a few days to get used to, I'm sure it'll be fine, just a case of getting accustomed to something new. To be honest I've been playing around with Chrome settings and have found that if I leave the min font sizes etc normal but then just use zoom the text looks a lot better. I don't know if it's the same in Safari but in chrome you can set different zoom levels as default.

Also, I've just been working off both my mac and PC laptop and am starting to prefer the text already. On the PC it somehow looks old fashioned/child like.