Web/iOS Development on rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by uhhitsjames, Jul 29, 2015.

1. uhhitsjames macrumors member

Are there any web or iOS developers who use the new Macbook as their primary machine? If so which model do you use and how do you like it? Any major short comings or regrets?

I'm currently using a 2009 MBP (non retina, non SSD) and things have gotten extremely slow, not to mention it can't hold a charge anymore. I've only recently gotten into iOS development but my current laptop takes almost 3 minutes to compile an app with under 75 lines of code.

I was trying to hold out for the new MBP with Skylake, but I'm not sure I can wait much longer.

2. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I'm a web developer, and the new MacBook is my primary machine. I have the 1.2GHz/512GB version and it runs fine for my use cases. As a web dev, I constantly have vagrant (debian linux), vmware fusion (windows 8.1, for IE), Chrome, Safari, Firefox, terminal, sublime running constantly (sometimes I forget I am still running vagrant AND vmware fusion in the background when I launch games). It's been pretty stable for me, and I've had no issues. But then again, web development requires no compilation, and even a chromebook would suffice my needs.