Web link in dock - Change icon?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MiroMac, Apr 1, 2009.

1. MiroMac macrumors member

Hello there! Is there a way to change the weblink icon in the dock? I've tried to use CandyBar as well as looking through the system with no luck. I couldn't find the location of the icon itself. You all know the default icon, but here it is just incase.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance! I know it's probably something simple.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sure. In Finder, Go -> Go to Folder, type /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources, and click Go. You don't have write permissions to this folder, and the way Finder deals with permissions is a little odd.

1) Drag url.png to your desktop.
    2) Rename the file to url_old.png.
    3) Drag it back into the Resources folder. Authenticate when prompted.
    4) Your replacement icon should be a 128x128 PNG image with alpha transparency. If you downloaded a .icns file, open it in Preview, go to File -> Save As, and set the format to PNG.
    5) Name your new icon url.png. Drag it back into the Resources folder, authenticating when prompted.
    6) Open Terminal and type killall Dock to relaunch the Dock.

I haven't tested these instructions, but they should work fine.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Also it actually is in CandyBar as well-- it is in the left section near the bottom (scroll all the way down) and will work as a global change as would BlueRevolution's suggestion above. The attached pic shows my CandyBar with the one I changed the HTTP to so that you can see where it is.

Attached Files:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, I should mention –*I think that is the single ugliest icon in the entire operating system. Good on you for getting rid of it. If only Apple would do the same.