Web page creation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Jul 9, 2009.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Can someone recommend a good and easy to use application for creating a web site - I am new to this, but ok on DTP / Photoshop.

Also, once created - how do you upload it and make it active?? I have an AOL, and a .Mac account - will these host my site?

Its for an online portfolio of my work - so I want to have quite a few pics, and maybe the odd movie clip.

Thanks all.
    :eek:

2. darshie76 macrumors member

best choice if you have a mobileme account is iweb or rapidweaver.

Otherwise, if you wanna get lost in thousands of complex menu and functions, macromedia has the masterpiece called dreamweaver :)

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I recommend taking a look through the Web Design and Development forum stickies.

If .Mac is the same as MobileMe, the yes, you can use that for web hosting, though it's a bit limited. Posting a site is simply a matter of using a FTP program (such as Cyberduck).

4. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

iWeb to design, MobileMe to host would probably be the easiest route for your needs since it seems you have a MobileMe account.

Personally, though, I would strongly recommend RapidWeaver and a full-fledged web host because it is a lot more powerful and flexible. You would have to spend extra money though.

You have options.

5. darshie76 macrumors member

Mobileme is the new name of .mac :)

i don't see why is a little limited, since you get a lot of GB of space to publish the site (plus if you buy a domain for 4 bucks a year, you can redirect your domain on mobileme, so it looks like the professional sites that you see sold and hosted on godaddy or similar sites)

to upload you simply use the app that you prefer, save the site in a folder and then open your idisk and throw everything in the web/sites folder and you are good to go....as far as it goes you can even use notepad and write plain html :)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The limitation I was referring to is the lack of server side languages (PHP, RoR, Perl, etc.) and database support (MySQL). As a web developer, being limited to just HTML, CSS, and JavaScript would greatly limit me.

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Absolute easiest? Squarespace.com without a doubt. I spent tons of time using Dreamweaver to build our corporate site and was never quite satisfied. With SquareSpace I was able re-create it complete in about a day and I think it looks quite nice (www.nextwaveperformance.com).